Options

I am now a CCNP

FattyAcidFattyAcid Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I finished my CCNP today.

I took three weeks off from work to spend 12-16 hours a day cramming for these guys, in addition to studying part time for a couple weeks before.

Materials used for studying

3 x 2811 (borrowed from work)
2 x Cat 2950
1 x Cat 3350
4 x 2620

(Also, right before I took the time off, I had to set up a testbed at work comprised of 1720, 2 x 3640, 2 x 2611XM, Cat 3500XL, 2514, 2509, 2610, etc.--great timing).

Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 & Vol 2
CBT Nuggets (we have the CBT Nuggets Archive Server at work--it is sweet)
CCNP Quick Reference Sheets
Sybex CCNA Study Guide (sometimes needed basic review :)
Transcender
A chapter about QoS, designed for CCDP students (I got this from someone at work--don't know where it is from)
cisco.com

BSCI and BCMSN were possibly the hardest tests I've taken in my life. When I was taking ONT at the testing center someone failed the CCIE written (gave up midway through really) and another guy failed ONT. Very intimidating have these people around you failing Cisco exams!

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Did you end up taking all 4 is 3 weeks?
  • Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man,

how did you do 12-16 hours a day without going mad? if it was drugs ,where can I buy them?
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    I bet it feels good to pass that after all that hard work.
  • Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Great news. Congratulations on the great achievement!
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    COngrats man, What experiance did you have before taking these exams?

whats up next for you?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the NP!!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awesome!

I just did an interview yesterday, they are paying very well for CCNPs in San Francisco. I could have negotiated a lot more money if I had that cert. It's now back on my list!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man on a very dedicated pursuit. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Awesome!

I just did an interview yesterday, they are paying very well for CCNPs in San Francisco. I could have negotiated a lot more money if I had that cert. It's now back on my list!

whats the salary for a CCNP in that area?
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

What did you use to keep your head from exploding? bom.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:

Yes I took all four tests in 3 weeks. I think it was a mistake on some level as my scores would have been higher had I spread themselves out more.
  • Options
    Congrats man,

how did you do 12-16 hours a day without going mad? if it was drugs ,where can I buy them?

I do not recommend doing it. I probably won't do such an aggressive schedule again. Yes, drugs (all legal) were used.

FWIW, I started having anxiety, sleeping, and physical health problems by the end of the 3 weeks. I am totally burned out. The schedule was also hard on my wife.

I was being this aggressive because of fears of a forced job change and a lack of reserve funds in the bank. Fear will make you work really hard. :)
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fear is a motivating factor...

Your hardcore dude, congrats!!!
  • Options
    telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FattyAcid wrote:
    gojericho0 wrote:

Yes I took all four tests in 3 weeks. I think it was a mistake on some level as my scores would have been higher had I spread themselves out more.

wow you took all four exams in three weeks? that is truly impresive! congratulations!

I have one more exam left and Ive been studying CCNP fr a little over a year now.

and as far as the high scores go, dont worry a pass is a pass no matter what.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, that's a serious accomplishment over just 3 weeks. Good luck on the next cert.
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Yup, having CCNP makes you very attractive to employers around here. That's why it'll be my next stop after MCITP: Enterprise Admin, to ensure a little but of wiggle room as the economy gets worse and my school-years progress.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FattyAcid wrote:
    Congrats man,

I do not recommend doing it. I probably won't do such an aggressive schedule again. Yes, drugs (all legal) were used.

FWIW, I started having anxiety, sleeping, and physical health problems by the end of the 3 weeks. I am totally burned out. The schedule was also hard on my wife.

I was being this aggressive because of fears of a forced job change and a lack of reserve funds in the bank. Fear will make you work really hard. :)

Well at least that will help out the old resume if something were to happen. Congratulations though... now enjoy some much deserved R & R
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow! congrats! that level of dedication is extremely admirable!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    you of all people deserve a nice long rest.. spend some time with the wife and have a few beers.. i'll pop a cold one for you tonight!
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow, amazing progress. Im glad you didn't kill yourself over it either. Have a nice Pint of Warstiener Dunkel for me :D

congrats!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! That's an impressive feat.
  • Options
    rezaprezap Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ... i am a CCNA and i want to start for CCNP. i want to buy some routers and switches. ineed to know which model of CISCO switch and router i need. something not expensive please.

regards
    reza
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    rezap wrote:
    Hi ... i am a CCNA and i want to start for CCNP. i want to buy some routers and switches. ineed to know which model of CISCO switch and router i need. something not expensive please.

regards
    reza

This really isn't the place to ask that, ask in a new thread
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rezap wrote:
    ineed to know which model of CISCO switch and router i need. something not expensive please.
    Did you read the Lab Threads in the CCNP FAQ?

Do not Hijack a thread -- your lab question has nothing to do with FattyAcids's post (other then Fatty listed their equipment).

If the CCNP FAQ doesn't answer any of your questions, then follow Plazma's suggestion and start your own thread. If you do that, make sure you mention what you used for your CCNA so that we'd have a clue what you already have.

And if you need to quote something -- make sure it's relevant to your post and cut it down to just the important stuff -- your quote of the original post just takes up space and makes it harder for others to read the thread.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!