Options

I got a job offer.. need opinions.

twiztidsilveradotwiztidsilverado Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here's my situation. I currently work in the automotive industry and am going no where fast. So I decided to go to college and get some certs to land a job in the IT industry. Now I am currently inline to make 30k this year at my current job but I got a job offer today as a help desk representative. The company is IBM but manpower does the hiring. From the way she explained it they are hiring for laptop and ipod support. Here's the thing it only pays 10.25 an hour so it's going to pay roughly 9k less than I am currently making but I think the experience is the key thing to this job because I currently have no IT experience. Can anyone give me some insight on what they would do in this situation. I think I can make my finances work just gotta cut back on some stuff. Any help would be appreciated because right now I am unsure on what to do.

Comments

• Options
    i guess the main question is should I hold out for a job making more money and stay where I am at or take the job for less and gain some experience that will help me later.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, a lot of it obviously depends on your financial situation now. If the pay decrease causes you to starve and die, it's probably not a smart move.

If you can manage with less pay, think about which one offers the most opportunity for growth. Are there opportunities to make more than $30k at your current employer, or is that pretty much where you'll end up. How about the IBM job? Will the experience you get at either help propel you into something more interesting?

Above all else, what do you want to be doing?
  • Options
    i definatley want to get out of my current employer because there is no room for growth in that company. As far as the helpdesk job I'm not really sure if it could take me anywhere more than just a helpdesk job. I was just thinking that the experience would look good on a resume because as of right now I have no IT experience.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I tell people this all the time. The thing that is going to elevate you in your career is passion. How hard are you working outside of going to school to increase your knowledge. Do you have boxes set up at home running windows server or Linux. Are you tinkering around trying to get things to work? Are you frequenting IT sites looking for new and exciting things to read or try? I don't have years upon years of experience but I devoted myself to IT once I got in the field. I was probably 28-29 at the time. I am now 36 and I am a sys admin. My real tech support job wasn't until 5 years ago. I spent a few years doing that, increasing my knowledge as I went along. I had 3 tech support jobs in all. I went from tech support to network technician. From network technician to sys admin. I beat out people because I was passionate about learning and working hard and it showed. Do the same and you will reap the benefits.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Dynamik pretty much summed up the important facts....can you make it on 10.25/hr? Did you get a degree at college or just take some courses? Does manpower offer any education incentives? Try and get us some more details but ultimately this will be up to you!
  • Options
    i think i can make 10.25 work.. i am working on a degree and have 3 classes left.. i'll find out some more info.. i definatley want to start my IT career now.. I have sent many resumes out and this is honestly the first company to respond. Maybe I should just wait it out.. I don't know
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Henry David Thoreau

IT all comes down to what you enjoy doing. People are the happiest and most successful at what they enjoy doing most. Therefore, if you really enjoy IT, then the 9k drop is just a drop in the bucket, go for it if you can afford it! Your dedication to this field will make you happier, and give you advancement beyond what the auto industry is, if you truly love it.

I tell people all the time, don't worry about the money, just figure out what you love to do. Once you do that, the money will follow.
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    where do you live?? I'm not bashing how much your making i just wanna see how different pay is from different states....
  • Options
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    It's definitely tough starting out in the IT field with no experience. I would venture to say just about all of us on Techexams had to go through getting a low paying IT job in the beginning. Experience is crucial to help land a decent/good job.

Just because the hiring people said this is what the job pays, doesn't mean you can't ask for more. Don't be afraid to ask for another dollar or two to try and lessen the pay decrease you will have to take. The worst thing they can say is no.

Just remember there will be other opportunities out there. Don't think this is your only shot. If you can afford the pay cut and are passionate about computer, go for it!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're serious about getting started in IT, take the job and leave the auto industry behind.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Your first job in IT will be the absolute hardest to get. If you can afford it, take the job, and bust your butt to get a better one soon after that to get your salary up where you want it to be.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    well, i just wanted to update everyone.. i called manpower back and they said if i took the job I would have to be there for training on the 28th of this month. Well, I have to give a took week notice to my current job. So I had to turn it down. I couldn't leave my current job w/o giving a two week notice because they have been good to me and my dad is the manager. So I will just keep sending in resumes and they said if another job becomes available they will call me.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    don't get discouraged, the best part about your situation is you're currently working which will allow you to be more flexible and find a job that you will enjoy, keep us updated!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Well, I just wanted to update everyone on my current situation. I didnt take that job from a few months ago.. A week ago we got notice at my automotive job that they were closing down the dealership and that I would be without a job. So, I get on the phone and contact manpower and they were hiring some more people for the call center that I had applied for. Yesterday I went for an interview and today I got the call saying they wanted to hire me. Im interested in seeing where this is going to go.. hopefully more money down the road and some great experience.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, I just wanted to update everyone on my current situation. I didnt take that job from a few months ago.. A week ago we got notice at my automotive job that they were closing down the dealership and that I would be without a job. So, I get on the phone and contact manpower and they were hiring some more people for the call center that I had applied for. Yesterday I went for an interview and today I got the call saying they wanted to hire me. Im interested in seeing where this is going to go.. hopefully more money down the road and some great experience.

Congrats!
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Congratulations. It seems like the automotive company made the decision for you. icon_lol.gif Good luck with the new job and do what you can to stand out and be noticed and doors will open up for you.
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Glad to hear you got the job :D

I worked help desk for a while. It was not the best but I learned and gained experience. Make this time work for you.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI