Options

NIC OSI Layer 1/2

bannythebunnybannythebunny Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I have an exam cram book for the n+, and according to its practice questions the NIC operates at the data link layer of the OSI model. I took the practice test on here today, and I only got one wrong, and it was the NIC Layer question. The question on this site sais it operates on the physical layer of the OSI Model. I take this test tomorrow, and thought its no big deal if it did show up I would like to get an easy question like this right. I always thought that even though it provides the physical connection to the network, it was still considered a data-link device. Please if anyone knows what "CompTia" will want for the correct answer please shed some light on me.
Mark Banville
Network+
Core(A+) Studying for OS(A+)

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    In case you didn't read the explanation that goes with that particular question:
    The drivers are defined at the Layer 2 (Data Link) and the NIC itself at Layer 1 (Physical layer.) The Data Link layer communicates with the NIC and allows it to access the physical media, but the NIC itself (the pins, the BNC, RJ45 connectors etc) and how it handles the raw bit stream is defined at Layer 1.
    Check out the bottom of my Network Components TechNotes for a more detailed explanation:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkcomponents.shtml

You can also try a search in the forums as this one has been discussed and explained before. icon_wink.gif

Because it is somewhat disputable, CompTIA will probably not ask it unless you can check two answers.
  • Options
    bannythebunnybannythebunny Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I figured that, and if it did ask the question if it had data link in there it wouldnt have physical and vice versa. I did read the explanation, but wouldn't you assume the drivers were on there? Oh well, it probably wouldnt be asked on there :X.
    Mark Banville
    Network+
    Core(A+) Studying for OS(A+)
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Don't assume. I had that question about on my test 3 weeks.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!