Options

Keyboard not working. Cant login to XP Pro!

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
So, I have a Dell D630. It was working fine last friday. The only thing different that I did was install a wireless keyboard.

I went to boot into windows this morning and nothing. The laptop keyboard works fine as well does the wireless keyboard. How do I know? Well, I can get into the bios using the keyboard, I can press F8 and boot to safe mode/last good known.

But the minute the OS takes over I lose all keyboard control. I also lose all mouse control on the built in touchpad. I have a usb mouse and that works with Windows. So obviously the solution would be to find a usb keyboard and see if that works...

Well, its a company laptop and there isnt a usb keyboard in site.

I am also typing this message using the same laptop, with the usb mouse and wireless keyboard in linux.

So the keyboard/mouse defiantly work. Its something windows related.

I have tried the following.

last known good
reset bios defaults
safe mode, still need a keyboard to login.

I am stumped.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Log in with a wired one. It probably needs to finish setting up drivers. I've had to do this multiple times in the past.
  • Options
    I have tried 2 seperate usb keyboards. I get the same response. It works fine before windows loads, once windows loads the keyboard is useless.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wait about a minute when windows boots up, it'll work...
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    I waited 5 minutes. Still nothing. I am using linux currently.. I am able to edit the windows registry.. Let me see if I can change it to autoadmin logon. I will keep you updated.
  • Options
    Hmmm, got me stumped then :^/. We have dells here, and we had to switch to USB keyboards on our workbench since the new dells don't have PS2s. I hate waiting a minute or so for the dang things to be recognized. I can definately get into the BIOS and everything, till windows boots up.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    Is it actually logging into windows or just sitting at the login screen?

You need to actually log in. Connect a PS/2 Keyboard and then connect the USB keyboard after Windows is loaded. Every time I've seen this, it's been a driver issue.
  • Options
    Well, connecting a ps2 is not an option. This is a laptop without a ps2 port.

The registry thing didn't work. It allowed me to edit it but the settings didn't save. So I haven't a clue what to do next besides reinstall.
  • Options
    Oh whoops, missed that. Sorry.

So you can log in, etc. with the built-in keyboard.

Did you install the software/drivers that came with it?

Have you tried updating the drivers?

Checked device manager, etc.?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Ok, here's a couple ideas. One is since you can get into the registry you could create a service to run the on-screen keyboard. You should be able to create it using another service as a template for it.

Or alternatively you could see if you can put in a new gina that actives the osk.
    http://support.automation.siemens.com/US/llisapi.dll/csfetch/22402193/OSKGinaSetupV2_01.exe?func=cslib.csFetch&nodeid=22403228

Neither method has been tested by me nor do I have the time to test it first so these are just ideas so your mileage may vary.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Maybe I am not being clear.

I cannot login IE: ctrl + alt +del with any keyboard period. So I need a way to get a keyboard to work so I can get passed the ctrl+alt+del screen to login.

I cannot save registry settings, i can only view.

I can copy/delete/modify files on the hard drive.
  • Options
    Then you may wish to try the osk gina that I linked as that should get you a clicky keyboard.

And of course you can always try a repair install.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    maybe I missed this, but have you tried plugging it in AFTER you get to the login screen (THE USB KEYBOARD THAT IS)? I have a stubborn box or two with somewhat similar issues where it doesn't detect the keyboard/mouse. I just unplugged them and plugged them back in, and they finally start working properly. Wouldnt hurt to try before you go crazy with a repair install.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Sounds like something BIOS related...

But I suppose your stuck until you can get a USB Keyboard and try it... And if that doesn't work... Dum Dum Dummm icon_twisted.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Do you have another usb keyboard besides this one? Maybe windows just does not like this one.

Sometimes I have seen it where you have to log in to windows to get the keyboard working and sometimes you don't, depending on who makes the keyboard.

Do you have a ps2 to usb adapter? You could try a ps2 keyboard that way. Sometimes in the bios you have to have usb legacy turned on.
  • Options
    It is not the keyboard, it is not the bios.

It is defiantly something with windows.

I have tried 2 usb keyboards, they work fine with the bios, IE: F2, F12, they work fine in linux on the same computer.

After mup.sys loads I can no longer toggle between num lock on the computer... So something with mup.sys is causing the problem. I dont know more than that. I am going to ship the laptop off to helpdesk and get a new one. This is a big waste of my time considering I have a bunch of server projects I need to be working on.

It could be a new update that was loaded on Friday as well. I just dont have the time to mess with it.
  • Options
    mup.sys is probably just the last dll being shown loaded. I've had this happen a number of times and generally it is just a corrupted keyboard driver. Sometimes have to clear and reload the usb drivers too. I agree that it is not a bios problem.

Can you remote desktop into the machine? That is another way to bypass the login screen.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check the Legacy USB setting in your BIOS, whatever it is set to try the opposite, ie. force the BIOS to keep control of the kbd.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Weirdest thing. I did a repair install. Once it asked for the cdkey in the repair process the keyboard wouldn't work there either.

I just did a complete reinstall. Solved the problem.

What a weird issue. Out of all my years doing helpdesk/system administration I had never seen that before.
  • Options
    Got ol' trustie reinstall to fix anything. I love it. <3
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA