Options

Thoughts on ZUNE and other MP3 players

LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
My girlfriend wants to get me an MP3 for my bday, July 29, and we are leaning towards a 4gig Zune player at the moment. We have been to CNET for all the reviews and it seems just about every MP3 has its pros and cons. I want a solid state device so I can take it to work out in the gym. Further, I like the Video capabilities so I can watch some CBTNugger videos and the odd movie I can rip and convert to WMV.

Can anyone give me some insight in choosing an MP3 with the above criteria. We would like to keep the cost around the Zune 4gig price point.

Gracias por todo mis carnalitos

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since she's buying, I think you should get the 32gb iPod Touch.

Even if it's not that specific one, you should still get an iPod. Your portable media player represents your identity, and no one will think you're cool if you get something like a Zune.

Seriously though, make sure those small flash players will give you the screen size you want for that. It's going to be a pain to try to see any useful diagrams, etc. on those small screens. You might as well just rip them to audio at that point.
  • Options
    xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    +1 iPod touch... although it would be best to wait for the prices to drop... I'm guessing the prices will go down in light of the new iPhone.... although maybe not since the subsidized price is made up in the 2 year contract...

Never used a Zune, so I can't comment on it. However, if you want screen size and a kick ass interface, the iPod touch is the way to go!
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My gf has a zune and his quite happy with it. Office max was having a sale on it a couple weeks back so I picked one up.

The display is much smaller than the ipod, so if you want to watch movies or downloaded content I would go with the ipod. She mainly will be using it for music.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cowon - pick a model that suits your budget and feature-wish-list. Arguably the best sound quality and battery life of any media player brand (actual battery life depends per model niche but they pretty much always outlast competitors at that leve), un-arguably the best format compatibility for both audio and video (Most audio players stick with MP3 and WMA, with AAC for the i-FashionAccessories ;) they have Flac/OGG/MPC and a lot more, also XVID and DIVX videos dont need any conversion on most of their players). I have an A2 and was looking at what was new to replace it and even after 2 years there's no compelling reason to change...I'm actually kinda bummed as I was looking forward to the next toy.... - my wife calls me an audio snob as I put a lot of effort into my listening components, this is the first portable player I've ever had/listened to that didn't make think how much better the song would be on my main rig (yup it would be better but the difference isn't annoying).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I have the 80 gig zune. I like it. I have the monthly pass that's $15 a month and I can download just about every song. Only down side is, if I cancel the subscription I can't play the songs as I am "renting" them. You can still buy songs but microsoft has a weird points system instead of just a flat price. I have yet to buy a song. You can copy your cds to it. Through conversion software, I've put music videos from youtube on it. I haven't tried putting any movies on it yet. The fm tuner is nice as well.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Zune looks sweet as does the IPod, and also other players that do similar type things

I personaly dont need one as i have the TYTN II, aka T&T Tilt, O2 Stella, and this serves all my needs, only HTC and O2 were offering a nice little headphones adapter with volume and track skip, this plugs into phone and into the adapter you plug a normal jack, very handy for my senhiesser headphones

Lee H
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Im going with the 4gig Cowon D2. It has the best user's rating at CNET for a PMP. Not to mention it has the ability for Memory Cards Via SDHC, video out and E.Q..

IPODs are more expensive and the ZUNE doesn't have the audio play back quality, and no E.Q., that the COWON has. Only bummer is we have to buy it off of Amazon. I would like to buy it from a store like Best Buy. We are going to get a 1 year warranty along with an 8gig Card for it. Can't wait to put my complete Trojan Reggae Box Set Collection on the card. Have to go and RIP my Ocean's 13 DVD and Entourage episodes Tambien.

Gracias por todo mis Cabrones!!!