where do I go from here?

MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently working at a NOC on the implementations team. We work remotely with onsite techs to get new networking equipment installed & tested at retail stores. I hold my CCNA & have recently completed the BSCI towards the CCNP. I have been working here now for a little over a year, but I feel like I've reached the point that I'm not really learning much more (& the pay is not great). So I'm starting my job search. This may sound dumb, but the thing is, I'm not fully certain of what type of position I should be looking for. icon_confused.gif

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    MQuinn6 wrote:
    I'm not fully certain of what type of position I should be looking for. icon_confused.gif
    the best way to tackle this is to determine what you would like to be doing now that you are not doing at your current job

have you talked with your boss(es) about career advancement opportunities within the company especially with you passing the BSCI and on your way to your CCNP?
    WIP: IPS exam
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should look into moving up to second level (or higher level than you are now) support now that you are proficient at your level.

If you don't know what types of jobs to look for just look for jobs that require the experience and knowledge that you have! If you read through the forums you will notice that a lot of the people having a hard time finding a position are applying for jobs that they are not qualified for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    If money is your driver you should look for positions in technical consulting and get paid by the hour and not salary rate. Overtime = big paycheck, but then uncle sam wants his chunk.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hourly pay usually pays more, but usually doesn't offer very much in the way of benefits which, as a family man, is the reason I avoid them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, I don't think any kind of career advancement is going to happen at the company at which I'm currently employed. A lot of employees here (including myself) are temps. Another temp asked for a raise a few weeks ago & they ended his contract immediately. icon_confused.gif

Long term, I think I'd like to be a network engineer. I really enjoy the Cisco stuff. I guess what I need to do is look into other companies. It's just tough to find positions with only a little over a year experience.