Options

public folder issues

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi, I have mail enabled public folders that will not receive email from outside our organization? they previously did? I have checked and anonoymous is setup as a contributor on each of these folders, I am using test123@myorg.com to test using a new email address, tested setting up a new folder, still no dice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exchange forum probably would've been better.

Have you checked the message tracking logs? What about the SMTP logs? Have you tried using telnet to send a mail from the outside to this e-mail address? Anything in the event logs? Try using SMTPDiag as well.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Royal, the first thing I notice right off is that previously I was able to telnet to my server port 25 and send mail via telnet (showed my domain banner and all etc.) now when I telnet to his port I don't get anything and I haven't changed anything that I know of.

Also this is a front-end back-end setup and the public folders reside on the back-end

One thing I noticed, is that about a month ago we had 3 gig of space free on the system drive of our front end server. Now we are at 77 meg, so I went in and deleted some of the windows removal files for updates and we now have 400 meg.

Does disk space on the front end server have any bearing here?
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    When you telnet to the port, are you going through a firewall like a PIX? If so, telnet directly to the server, even from itself, and see what you get. The reality is your server must be receiving email since users are still receiving messages.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    slinuxuzer wrote:

Does disk space on the front end server have any bearing here?
    It could. Are all of the Microsoft Exchange services running?

When you say you don't get anything, when you telnet, do you mean that you get a successful connection, and then literally get a blank screen with nothing, or do you mean that it times out?

I didn't see where you said mail was working at all... I assume that it has to be or you would have said so...

When you send a mail to the public folder from outside, do you get a Non-Delivery report as a reply back?

Check the public folder store that it is mounted

Check the queues
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Sorry to take so long getting back to my own post, thanks for all your help very informative. I solved the issue.

About two weeks ago i had to install exchange on a virtual server for email restore (legal Reasons) I did this because the exchange server these backups were made on had since been decommissioned, not sure why this happened before I got hired. Anyway, the issue was resolved by me booting my virutal server an uninstalling exchange from it.

Not sure why this happened, I didn't configure anything on this virtual exchange server, just restore group. Anyway its fixed.

Again I am sorry to drop out like that, I am slammed, I am doing the work of what used to be three admins, we had to fire the guy that was helping me, it turns out he was a dishonest admin, reading mail and installing abitrary programs on servers etc. I fear he may have installed key logging software here or there.

The san franciso article really hit home with me because of this.

Again thanks to everyone, don't know what I would do with out TE.