Options

Windows 7

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
Just out of curiosity will your organization be moving to Vista or will you wait it out with XP and move to Windows 7 when it comes along. I talked to my new boss and we both have agreed so far to wait out with XP and just try again with Windows 7. Just curious what everyone else will be doing.

Comments

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We are not implementing Vista, Intuit will not be implementing Vista as well (my last job)...
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Too busy to roll out Vista these days, XP is doing the job and there are much higher priorities.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hell, I still have many clients running W98 and happy with it icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    XP FTW
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are currently using XP and Ubuntu and Debian in our environment, We're a charity so alot of open source is required plus the heavy hardware such as servers were put together from donated hardware from business's so we have to make the most of everything. Vista wouldn't make sense for us hell we would be pushed to find a computer here to run it at a reasonable level :D
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Our company is a strong proponent of staying current, and Vista deployment is on our map, but there are 1,000,000 other things ahead of it right now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We're getting Vista with our new machines, but we have no plans to upgrade our older ones. We'll probably end up with a mix of XP, Vista, and 7. Oh, and we still have a single Win2k box as well!
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Oh, and we still have a single Win2k box as well!

I've just got rid of my last NT4 server machine. Happy days icon_lol.gif

I can't see our internal IT team moving from XP to Vista though. They will sweat the assets as long as they can - it took ages to go from NT4 Workstation to 2000Pro and the only reason they went to XP was for a hardware refresh of all the desktop machines icon_rolleyes.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    We're getting Vista with our new machines, but we have no plans to upgrade our older ones. We'll probably end up with a mix of XP, Vista, and 7.
    Same here.
  • Options
    Why the need to deploy Vista if everything is hunky dory? I know alot of companies have a huge I.T budget but I stick to the rule if everything is running as it should and performance isn't taking a hit why the need to change?

I'm not to keen on Vista much prefer Unbuntu or Debian to get the job done hell even XP and 2000 are my preferred choice over Vista.

I run Vista in Vmware at home haven't really spent much time with it as I'm to busy expanding open source knowledge.

• Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    August 1st all new lease rolls will be Vista desktops except in sales and call centers, where the later has many specially written programs that aren't Vista certified yet. Also user's can request an upgrade to Vista if they have a business need for it.

Truthfully I can't wait for someone to get upgraded to Vista and the person next to them wants it because it looks pretty.

Further, we won't be running the Aero Interface for it hogs up too many system's cycles. Good thing everything we run now is atleast Dual Core 64 bits with 4 gigs even for bases Office users who really don't need that much system power.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    No Vista plans here. Any new machines acquired are wiped and reinstalled with XP.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Our company just started rolling out XP last March its been a while with Windows 2000 we also wipe out Vista on new computer and replaced it with XP it would probably will take sometime before we go for a new OS probably after 7yrs ouch!!!
  • Options
    I agree I am staying with XP also, and I am going to try to move a few computers to ubuntu at work. Also just a little tid bit of information Microsoft seems to hide. If you have a vista License you can use it for anything from vista back to 98 I think is how far it goes. But I know that a vista license is good for XP. :) Very handy.
  • Options
    Does it matter which version of XP you install i.e Pro or Home? I have a user who has a vista laptop and has had all sorts of problems I said to get XP onto it lol

• Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    ally_uk wrote:
    Does it matter which version of XP you install i.e Pro or Home? I have a user who has a vista laptop and has had all sorts of problems I said to get XP onto it lol

Depends on if you need to join it to a domain I believe.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    No Vista plans, still XP. We support vista though on about 300 machines that we don't own icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    LBC90805 wrote:
    ally_uk wrote:

Pro can join a domain, home can't. Pro also has Remote Desktop, Home doesn't. There are a few more subtle differences. Home is fine for 99% of users.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Vista on new machines only, unless they are slated for Linux. Most people seem to prefer to stay with XP. We'll run Windows 7 (and most anything else) on VMWare Server.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nl wrote:
    LBC90805 wrote:
    ally_uk wrote:

Pro can join a domain, home can't. Pro also has Remote Desktop, Home doesn't. There are a few more subtle differences. Home is fine for 99% of users.

0% of us icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I have Vista Business on my machine, just because I like to be different. icon_lol.gif That and I never really used it so I'm getting myself familiar with it. Other than that, I do not have any plans to roll out vista for my company. There's no need.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Silentsoul wrote:
    I agree I am staying with XP also, and I am going to try to move a few computers to ubuntu at work. Also just a little tid bit of information Microsoft seems to hide. If you have a vista License you can use it for anything from vista back to 98 I think is how far it goes. But I know that a vista license is good for XP. :) Very handy.
    Not generally. You have to be a volume licensing customer. If you are, you can go all the way back to 95, and I think NT 3.5.

If not, you can only downgrade if you have Vista Business or Ultimate, and you can only go back to XP Pro, and even then it has to be an OEM preinstall of Vista to qualify.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Sorry for the mis information thanks for the clarification CDW didn't give me the full scoop.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    I use Vista Business at work and it seems to work fine. I'm not a big fan of deploying it to other computers in the office because it takes up so much space and XP, as many have stated, runs fine. The biggest downfall with Vista is they changed everything, including wording, which makes it difficult for basic computer users to be trained without wanting to wrap a tire iron around their necks.