Options

Low selfconfidence

jayman47jayman47 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
From time to time i have a confidence crisis with regard to my own knowledge.I am in such a phase now.Have happened many times before.Started reading the Cisco Press book and watching CBT Nuggets videos for the 642-901 exam a few weeks ago.Could not remember some basic stuff from the CCNA.Trying to say to my self that you have to work with it on a daily basis to get to know every detail.I am just studdying and currently unemployed.Anybody else have these confidence problems or it is just me? icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's definitely not just you. A lot of the material is use-it-or-lose-it, so it will be hard to retain if you're not actively working with it. Take some time off and do something fun. Hit it again once you feel refreshed.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sure.

Sometimes you're the windshield. Sometimes you're the bug. icon_lol.gif

And even when you're the windshield -- you've got to remember not to stop on railroad tracks to clean the bugs off. :D

Grab a beer. Take a break. Then get back to it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dude your a CCSP you gotta be proud of yourself, I suggest taking a breather, do something fun, like chiks...
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    mikej412 wrote:

And even when you're the windshield -- you've got to remember not to stop on railroad tracks to clean the bugs off. :D

ahah, this is one of the best analogy's i've ever heard!!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Aldur wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:

ahah, this is one of the best analogy's i've ever heard!!
    Yeah that was really good mike. :D

I'm going to file that one away...
  • Options
    Good advice from jbaello.I'm a nerd though and haven't been out on a pub for four years.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jayman47 wrote:
    From time to time i have a confidence crisis with regard to my own knowledge.I am in such a phase now.Have happened many times before.Started reading the Cisco Press book and watching CBT Nuggets videos for the 642-901 exam a few weeks ago.Could not remember some basic stuff from the CCNA.Trying to say to my self that you have to work with it on a daily basis to get to know every detail.I am just studdying and currently unemployed.Anybody else have these confidence problems or it is just me? icon_sad.gif

All the time. At work, at home, on the boards. My wife has to calm me down sometimes and just let me know I know my stuff...and then she hands me a beer :)

youre not alone. I try to use that emotion positively and force myself to learn more. Kind of like an "Oh, yea? well watch this!!!" feeling :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    dynamik wrote:
    It's definitely not just you. A lot of the material is use-it-or-lose-it, so it will be hard to retain if you're not actively working with it. Take some time off and do something fun. Hit it again once you feel refreshed.
    so true

in my summer off i've forgotten a lot of stuff i should know, especially the windows/server based stuff since i have a rack of cisco crap 3 feet from me to play with.
    builtin fleshlight
    wat
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    builtin fleshlight
    wat

Exactly... That's just not right...
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Good to know i'm not alone snadam.I get pissed at myself and want to learn more after a while.I also seek to get confirmation on my knowledge from other people.Often from people that have no knowledge of what i am doing.But sometimes i have no knowledge either.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Generally I find it best to look in the mirror each morning and say, "Damn you're good looking! You definitely know your stuff from a horseshoe. I bet the chicks all swoon when you demonstrate your crazy DNS knowledge."

Works a charm.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I just take a page out of the Dwight Schrute book of confidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGlTeKcEUFg
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Every time I think about my self confidence, I think of that episode of Friends where Chandler was trying to stop smoking. He ordered the “Stop Smoking Tapes” and got the tapes for “Improving self confidence of woman” instead. I nearly died when we walked out the bathroom with the towels wrapped around him. icon_lol.gif
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    daily affirmations with Stuart Smalley

"im good enough Im smart enough and dog gone it people like me"!
  • Options
    telco1 wrote:
    daily affirmations with Stuart Smalley

"im good enough Im smart enough and dog gone it people like me"!

I hope you are not mocking my senator-to-be http://www.alfranken.com/
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Knowing that a CCSP/MCSE is unemployed lowers my self-confidence icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Don't worry, he appears to be about 4000 miles away.
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Knowing that a CCSP/MCSE is unemployed lowers my self-confidence

I hear that, of course I don't know maybe the situation in norway is differnet than here in the states.

Personally I just passed the CCNA yesterday (640-802) and instead of celebrating I am already freaking out that I might forget something between now and when I have to recertify in 2011 icon_sad.gif
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jeanathan wrote:
    Personally I just passed the CCNA yesterday (640-802) and instead of celebrating I am already freaking out that I might forget something between now and when I have to recertify in 2011 icon_sad.gif

Won't you have your CCNP by then ;)
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    dynamik wrote:
    jeanathan wrote:

Won't you have your CCNP by then ;)

Yes this is true :), but with the exception of being on vacation or few hours here and there, the threat of becoming obsolete exist.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jayman47,

You are definitely not alone! I am in college studying and trying to obtain certifications. I study material and then forget some things. I try not to beat myself up too much over it.. but at times I feel that it is useless for me to try to study.. Also, I feel bad at times cause I wonder if I can even get a job even though I'm getting certifications and my degree. I'm changing careers from electronics tech to IT, but I continue to get offers for electronic tech jobs.. I can't seem to break away from it even though I try to word my resume to direct it towards IT.

I'm having problems studying for Cisco certs because I don't have any of the equipment nor experience with it.. I can't really learn it in detail. I don't have server software either so I can't learn the ins and outs of that like I'd like to either.. I don't have the monetary support to buy a few computers for test beds to try things on.. so I feel like when I study I soon lose it cause I don't use it.. and I learn a lot more when I work on it with my hands..

Normally, I stop.. get up and take a breather.. grab a beer and forget about .. then go back later that day or a day later and start hammering away at it..

No, bud, you're not alone.. everyone feels down from time to time.. You keep doing what you're doing though.. It'll pay off!
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING