Options

Have I been ripped off?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok guys yesterday I came across the following site

http://www.thededicatedserverhandbook.com/

And decided that I would pay and order the ebook, I paid through paypal and after the payment was accepted was greeted with a message saying server is busy we will send you the download link for your good within 3 hours promise you.

As you can tell I havent received any ebooks and the payment has been taken out of my account I have contacted the company and had no response, all I wanted was this bloody ebook grrrr

Ive been had haven't I?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just use sparky marks technotes on here dude, seriously good guide for setting up everything you need on a dedicated box, you can fill in anything else you need with free guides on the web.

I know that doesnt get your money back, but in all honesty its stupidly easy to setup a full LAMP without getting those books.

Hope you get compensated.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Pash wrote:
    Just use sparky marks technotes on here dude, seriously good guide for setting up everything you need on a dedicated box, you can fill in anything else you need with free guides on the web.
    care to pass a link on? can't find this technote on dedicated servers :P
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    I'm just pissed out that I have lost money on this I feel like flying out to America and kicking the guys ass :D

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    care to pass a link on? can't find this technote on dedicated servers :P

http://www.techexams.net/technotes/linuxplus/network-services.shtml

Its more on network services, but even still it teaches you the basics. Obviously doesnt cover control panels and things like that.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doesn't PayPal have some kind of buyer protection policy (up to a certain dollar amount)? At the very least I would file a complaint with PayPal, they can refund your money if the seller has a balance in their PayPal account.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    ally_uk wrote:
    I'm just pissed out that I have lost money on this I feel like flying out to America and kicking the guys ass :D

That may get you your money back, but you are gambling on the size of the guy and whether or not he has a dog. If it were me I would just file a dispute with Paypal or my CC company to get my money back.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    This now has been resolved I recieved the ebook woohoo! apparently the guys email was bouncing so he gave me a 5 dollar refund and sent me the goods.

Book looks pretty straight forward I should be having a linux server up in no time :D

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Well done mate, am glad it got solved

How much dod you pay for it if you dont mind me asking

Lee H
  • Options
    About £20 I have been looking for a decent book on webmin and this one is pretty up to date shows you the process of how to get a server up and running. I need to buy a domain ASAP and some old hardware and start my tinkering.

What is your email Lee? I can drop you a copy if you want?

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    What is your email Lee? I can drop you a copy if you want?

Please don't turn this into a warez site ally_uk. I know you were trying to be helpful.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I am appreciating the irony of worrying about being ripped off, then receiving the materials and a $5 credit, and then immediately turning around and attempting to distribute (rip off) it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    undomiel wrote:
    I am appreciating the irony of worrying about being ripped off, then receiving the materials and a $5 credit, and then immediately turning around and attempting to distribute (rip off) it.

lol, you noticed that, too? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

lol, you noticed that, too? icon_lol.gif
    +1 icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    +2
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.