Options

BSCI conquered.

singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
Nailed it today with score of 877. Four months of hard work finally paid off.

Comments

• Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Hope to have mine done soon.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    Thinkin of geting into Switching so gotta populate my rack with few layer 3 switches, I already have a 2950 and 2900. Any suggestion for a cheap layer 3 switch. Lookin into 3550 but not sure about the image.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I will be taking this one on Monday. What are your thoughts on it?
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    The exam was one of the toughest I’ve ever taken. Unlike CCNA where they test you on command memorization BSCI exam will test your in depth understanding of routing protocols. I am not saying that don’t try to memorize commands, rather spend as much time getting familiar with the behavior of protocols. In my exam, every topic got equal weightage so make sure to know things that you least expect. Time is very critical in this exam; I answered the last question around 5 seconds before the end. Sources that aided me in preparation were

Certification guide
    Study Guide
    BSCI lab manual
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

The 3550 will work -- and you'd want an Enhanced Multilayer Software Image (EMI). The 3550 SMI versions can be upgraded to EMI image.

If you're planning (or thinking about) the CCIE, then it's probably a good idea to get a 3550 now. But even with the drop in price on eBay, it's still hard for some people to justify purchasing a 3550 for the CCNP.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Well I think it's been mentioned before, but if you get a decent rotuer you can do I believe almost anything an L3 switch can do (correct me if im wrong). From my angle if you had an L3 switch, you would simply enable "ip routing" on it.

But as mike mentioned, getting a 3550 now is a great idea especially if you plan on going on with your CCIE R&S.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.
  • Options
    Plazma wrote:
    Well I think it's been mentioned before, but if you get a decent rotuer you can do I believe almost anything an L3 switch can do (correct me if im wrong). From my angle if you had an L3 switch, you would simply enable "ip routing" on it.

But as mike mentioned, getting a 3550 now is a great idea especially if you plan on going on with your CCIE R&S.

True, but it wouldn't have as many ports as switch. Since BSMSN also deals with Wireless, I wonder what kind of Access point and controller would suffice. I see some 1231G on ebay for under $150

It appears is that 3550 is not capable of supporting ver 12.2, and 3560 which has that capability is insanely expensive. Now how important is it to have ver 12.2, would all labs in the Lab manual be doable in 12.1?
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    congrats!

Thank You.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, good score too. And I add my vote for picking up a Catalyst 3550 for your BCMSN studies, as well as a couple of 2950s, if you can afford 'em. Having a layer 3 switch in addition to layer 2 switches won't hurt anything (except maybe give your wallet a slight bruise,) and you'll be able to not only play with the layer 3 switching material on the CCNP route, but also hang on to the same equipment if you choose to shoot for the top of the pyramid.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass, good score too. And I add my vote for picking up a Catalyst 3550 for your BCMSN studies, as well as a couple of 2950s, if you can afford 'em. Having a layer 3 switch in addition to layer 2 switches won't hurt anything (except maybe give your wallet a slight bruise,) and you'll be able to not only play with the layer 3 switching material on the CCNP route, but also hang on to the same equipment if you choose to shoot for the top of the pyramid.

Thanks slow hand. I guess i'll pick couple of 3550's and as far as the wireless labs go, i have no option but to buy a rack time. I definately can't afford multi thousand dollar WLAN controller.