Options

Why we should all use military time

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
I just had a incident at work were I was supposed to joining a conference call for a maintenance window for a customer. I jumped on the bridge call at 8 PM Mountain time and waited for a 1/2 hour but nobody came into the call with me. Thought that it was strange, checked the case notes for the time and confirmed the time. I then sent a customer an email letting me know that I attended the bridge call but nobody was there.

Today I got an email letting me know that the conference call was for 8 AM Mountain time.... Oh hell did I feel bad, I went and checked the case notes and sure enough were I swore I read 8 PM was 8 AM... I then sent a email to the customer apologizing for the miscommunication. I was let know that the maintenance window went well and without issue and everything was alright.

For reasons like this, my own inability to read AM or PM, it would be so nice to be on military time :D
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote:
    I just had a incident at work were I was supposed to joining a conference call for a maintenance window for a customer. I jumped on the bridge call at 8 PM Mountain time and waited for a 1/2 hour but nobody came into the call with me. Thought that it was strange, checked the case notes for the time and confirmed the time. I then sent a customer an email letting me know that I attended the bridge call but nobody was there.

Today I got an email letting me know that the conference call was for 8 AM Mountain time.... Oh hell did I feel bad, I went and checked the case notes and sure enough were I swore I read 8 PM was 8 AM... I then sent a email to the customer apologizing for the miscommunication. I was let know that the maintenance window went well and without issue and everything was alright.

For reasons like this, my own inability to read AM or PM, it would be so nice to be on military time :D

I think for business purposes, military time is essential. I use it at work when I can for anything that needs to be documented time-wise.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You're just saying that because you carry a military clock in that hat of yours. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    We should all be using military and GMT. Those HAM radio operators had it right all this time!
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    We should all be using military and GMT. Those HAM radio operators had it right all this time!

I agree with you wisdom

-Bender
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    You're just saying that because you carry a military clock in that hat of yours. icon_lol.gif

amongst other things, yes icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Daft question i know, but is that actually you in the picture
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    I will say that all IT personnel here use the 24 hour clock for everything, including e-mail exchanges with customers. If communicating with a customer we do use their time zone and internally we use the local time (EDT). Obviously everything time based on our mainframes require the 24 hour clock and we obtain store work hours for clients electronically in this format since we transmit data different based upon their work hours.

I know a few people here though that see consistently take 1500 to be 5:00 p.m. instead of 3:00 p.m. however and don't do it with any other times. I still haven't figured out why that is the case. I have learned never to schedule anything for 1500.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:

I've used a 24 hour clock since...way back in elementary school. Once I became familiar with Zulu...I prefer that, it's a shame it just doesn't catch on. At least a 24 hour clock isn't too hard for most people.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:

amongst other things, yes icon_lol.gif

I think he sneaks his wife into movie theaters that way too, along with a jumbo bag of popcorn and a 2 liter of coke. :P
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    Daft question i know, but is that actually you in the picture

Nope, that would be Jim Carrey from 'Dumb and Dumber'.

sprkymrk wrote:
    I think he sneaks his wife into movie theaters that way too, along with a jumbo bag of popcorn and a 2 liter of coke.

When you get a paycut, you find really creative ways to save money icon_lol.gif

lets not forget the donuts for my fav Mod either!!!
    bxp28207.jpg

• Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    THe first place I worked IT or in those days DP used military time. But military time with a 8 AM zero hour since that was how they tracked billing. So 8 AM was 00:00. Now that was fun.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    need to get me one of these:

24-hour-wall-clock.jpg
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Sorry, but I don't know what do you mean by "military time".

Does it simply mean time used by military or is it a special term?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    binarysoul wrote:

Just using 0-23 instead of 1-12am and 1-12pm, just like the image Tyrant posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    binarysoul wrote:

Military time is defined, in most instances( except for the strange company I worked for), as beginning at Midnight the time is counted from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59 instead of 12:00:00 AM to 12:00:00 PM to 12:00:00 AM. In othe words 1 PM in Military time is 13:00 hours.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/a/militarytime.htm
  • Options
    Nice! Tyrant that would be a sweet clock to have.

-Bender
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Aldur wrote:

Doh!!

Have mixed up times before myself a couple of times.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mmmmmm... donuts. :D

Since you said they are for your favorite Mod, I'll ask JD if I can have one. icon_cool.gif
    Or should I ask Mike... wait maybe Plantwiz?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    I started out life as a radioman in the USN. Everything is referenced to Zulu time. Zulu time is Greenwich Mean Time or Coordinated Universal Time. This is the world standard which is mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich. This location was chosen because by 1884 two-thirds of all charts and maps already used it as their Prime Meridian. In 1929, the term Universal Time (UT) was introduced to refer to GMT with the day starting at midnight. In 1956 the US National Bureau of Standards started to use atomic frequency standards in generating the WWV time signals. They keep racks and racks of Cesium time standards to keep accurate time.

We had to calculate the RF propagation depending on our location. on a funny note... we would use the Russians time tick when floating around the North Atlantic just like they use our time tick when on our side of the world.

Time zones around the world are expressed as positive or negative offsets from UTC.

Military time clears up the whole AM - PM thing. On a submarine, the only way you know if it's morning is if they are serving eggs for chow. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Zulu time is Greenwich Mean Time or Coordinated Universal Time.
    GMT and UTC aren't the same thing. GMT = UT1 but UT1 != UTC. The difference is how the leap seconds are handled. Its only a fraction of a second off though so for general use, UTC is GMT.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    tiersten wrote:
    Zulu time is Greenwich Mean Time or Coordinated Universal Time.
    GMT and UTC aren't the same thing. GMT = UT1 but UT1 != UTC. The difference is how the leap seconds are handled. Its only a fraction of a second off though so for general use, UTC is GMT.
    In casual use, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is the same as UTC and UT1. Owing to the ambiguity of whether UTC or UT1 is meant, and because timekeeping laws usually refer to UTC, GMT is avoided in careful writing.

... but who's counting? icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/