Options

corrupted external harddrive

nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
I have a corrupted external usb harddrive, looking for a free program that could pull the information off of it or any ideas in general for recovering the data. thanks!
WIP: IPS exam

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pop it open and plug the drive directly into your machine. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    I have a corrupted external usb harddrive, looking for a free program that could pull the information off of it or any ideas in general for recovering the data. thanks!

Don't know if spinrite is free, but if your that into getting the data off your hard drive the last thing you should be worried about is free.

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm
    Good luck
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hiren's boot cd has some good tools for recovery on it. Also looking through some of the programs I have used and kept in the past (don't remember which ones were good and which were bad or is all of these are for data recovery) Diskpatch, MBR tool, Undisker. Every time I have to data recovery I can never remember what tool I liked or which ones were good.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:

Don't know if spinrite is free, but if your that into getting the data off your hard drive the last thing you should be worried about is free.

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm
    Good luck
    It's not super critical data which is why I'm looking for free
  • Options
    Hiren's boot cd has some good tools for recovery on it. Also looking through some of the programs I have used and kept in the past (don't remember which ones were good and which were bad or is all of these are for data recovery) Diskpatch, MBR tool, Undisker. Every time I have to data recovery I can never remember what tool I liked or which ones were good.
    thanks ill check some of those out
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Spinrite's about $90.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    What are the symptoms of the corruption? Will reading certain files throw a "sector not found" error? Spinrite can fix that. If it's more of a file system or disk partition corruption problem then you'll need higher-level tools, like those on the Ultimate Boot CD.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    have you tried running chkdsk /r if its windows or fsck if its linux?

You would be surprised at what all that will fix.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    have you tried running chkdsk /r if its windows or fsck if its linux?

You would be surprised at what all that will fix.

I would do what seuss suggested first and I can recommend on-track data recovery as well for recovering data.
  • Options
    im gonna run checkdisk on it at lunch and try out some of the other utilities if that fails, thanks for the suggestions