Options

starting studying for the 70-270

noisemonkeynoisemonkey Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi there. About a third of a way through the course at the moment, loving working in IT. Although I currently support Vista and Macs doing 1st line support I'm looking to get in to 2nd line at some point in the next year and it looks as though noone is in any hurry to ditch XP just yet. :D

Comments

• Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    hi there. About a third of a way through the course at the moment, loving working in IT. Although I currently support Vista and Macs doing 1st line support I'm looking to get in to 2nd line at some point in the next year and it looks as though noone is in any hurry to ditch XP just yet. :D

So whats your question?
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Doesn't all have to be questions. :) Glad you're enjoying your studies! Good luck on the exam.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    yeah just thought I'd say hi. Will be more questions though soon. Working in IT rocks :D
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Working in IT rocks :D

You will soon eat your words....

Just kidding. Good luck with your studies, we are here to help if you need it.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif not for some decades yet. How did you guys get in to IT? Did you do certs while working or during ?
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    icon_lol.gif not for some decades yet. How did you guys get in to IT? Did you do certs while working or during ?

I went to college and got my degree in computer networking. Then I got a job "part time" editing videos at a fairly small company that my best friend worked for. My first week I was flown to Chicago and ended up working 55 hours....and 40 hours a week ever since. So much for "part time" status. Then a few months went by and I became the network administrator since the other guy who maintained the network didn't have time anymore and didn't want to since he was actually a programmer and had other responsibilities. 5 years later, I'm still here. I've been working on my certs pretty hard the past 6-7 months, both studying at work and home.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I kind of somewhat have been doing IT on and off my whole life. My dad is the chair of the history department at the university he teaches at. I played around with networking for his office to make things easier back in the WFW3.11 days. I also designed their website. Then during art school several years later I assisted the art department's network admin in setting up the pc and mac labs and rolling out OS X when it was first released. Then I did contract jobs of mostly move-add-change here and there and got my first "real" full time IT job doing level 1 tech support for 2wire/sbcglobal. I only lasted 2 weeks out of training and then got really sick and couldn't motivate myself to go back to the job. Did more contract work and landed a real IT job doing level 2 tech support for Dell. That's where I got my very first certification, A+. It was required for the job so I went and picked it up while in training. That's the only time a company has paid for a certification so far. After 1 year of that the company lost the Dell contract and tried to move me into doing customer service for a cellular company. I said screw that and got my current job as a network administrator for a small company. About 30 workstations and 3 servers. Picked up my Security+, MCSA and MCSE while working here. Now on the prowl for my next job. IT has never been my main thing. I got into it because I needed a job badly. Art is still where it is at for me and IT is just a stepping stone for me to get out of debt so that I can get back to art permanently.

So you could say that I got all of my certifications while working. Breaking into IT is hard so you need to make sure you're somewhere that has tech support and help desk jobs available. There were several around Phoenix so that's what made it easier for me to get my foot in the door here. Just make sure you're constantly learning. While you may not be certified more than the competition if you know more than them and it shows, it will really give you a boost.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I started playing with computer wen I was 17,(I'm 21 now) and pretty much just really grew to like them. I'm currently a full-time student in college working on getting my Bachelor's in Comp. Info Systems. Also taking the 70-271 August 30th. The MCDST will be my first of many certifications. I work as a Help Desk Tech. for a large electrical contractor. They gave me a cancel with no prior experience and I am completely grateful. :D
  • Options
    [quote="undomiel"Just make sure you're constantly learning. While you may not be certified more than the competition if you know more than them and it shows, it will really give you a boost.[/quote]

some good advice here, cheers man.