Options

SF Hacker story Update

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Usernames and passwords to San Francisco network exposed in court docs

my favorite part?
Security experts already pointed out the city should change all of the passwords, especially since a number of them are identical to their usernames or would otherwise be easy to guess.

really? We implement more complex password policies than the city of SF? icon_eek.gif
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I saw that. It is no wonder the guy was so protective of the network. He was working with complete morons.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's your password?

The letter a...

It's been posted a few times already, but this is hilarious (NSFW language though).
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    What's your password?

The letter a...

It's been posted a few times already, but this is hilarious (NSFW language though).

whoa my mouse is moving!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yup, such a great video!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    snadam wrote:
    really? We implement more complex password policies than the city of SF? icon_eek.gif
    As someone who's done work for the City of San Francisco, among other places like it around the Bay, I can safely tell you that 99% of businesses run a more secure network than most government or state-run offices around here. It's sad. . . very, very sad how easy it is compromise (or lock out) da gub'ment.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    It can be scary the level of security in some of the higher establishments...
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Wow the level of incompetence in SFO is outstanding... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

hahaa, a rouge router in SF!!! freaking crazy.

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote:
    How exactly can you lose a network device anyway? You must know what subnet its on. Go find the switch its attached to. Work out where all the wires go and tada you've found it...

Although this does remind me of this story about a university losing one of their Novell servers. It was working. They just didn't know where it was. Turns out building maintenance staff had erected a wall in front of it.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You can almost hear the Looney Tunes theme playing when you read this story, can't you? I'm imagining "security consultants" searching for this rogue router with an ACME-brand network sniffer.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.