Options

WINS on 70-291?

WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
Basically as the topic states -- is there any WINS on the 70-291? There is a chapter or two in a book I am currently reading dedicated to WINS. Should I study it or is it a waste of time?
In Progress: CCNP ROUTE

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Skills being measured site does not mention WINS specifically. However, it may pop up in it's relationship to DNS and TCP/IP in general. Be familiar with it but don't spend a lot of time on it.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Yeah, I took a look at the lists measured and they didnt say anything about WINS specifically. They chapter goes specific into how it replicates, configuring it, ect ect. In that case I'll just take a brief look at it then. I hope there isnt any WINS specific questions though. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Humm as mentioned in another thread I never really ran into any real WINS questions. I would go with sprkymrk, give it a skim and then move on.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Got it, I'll skim the chapter and take brief notes but I wont go into detail.

Is WINS used at all in the real world anyway?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In one of the Exchange 2007 videos I just watched, they mentioned that it was used in the older versions of Exchange under some circumstances.

Some applications were designed to use it as well, so if company has an elaborate, proprietary app that requires it, they're kind of stuck with it. Maybe the developer went out of business, or they can't justify the cost to move to DNS, etc. I'm sure a lot of places still have old NT4 servers as well.

I don't use it here though :D
  • Options
    Thats good to hear. Thanks for the help everyone.