Options

Computer Cases with good air flow

bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys. Can you guys give me any suggestions on what's a good case with good air flow. I'm planning on changing my case since during my last build I was being cheap (spent $50) and I don't really have a good air flow.
Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bogdan5 wrote:
    Hi guys. Can you guys give me any suggestions on what's a good case with good air flow. I'm planning on changing my case since during my last build I was being cheap (spent $50) and I don't really have a good air flow.

I have always enjoyed cooler masters cases. They are cheap, but I think they have pretty good airflow. I like the front fans and perforated screens on the entire front panel.

here is the case Im rockin') It stays exceptionally cool, and for only $50

mine came with plexiglass door, but I couldn't care less. Function over form.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Cooler Master and Antec have always been my favorite manufacturers for cases. They'll usually carry models that are specifically designed for cooler operation, but most mid-to-high end cases from either company will keep your system nice and cool. . . with plenty of room for fans-galore.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Snadam, funny I have the exact same case. I don't know it seems like there is not enough cooling in it. Did you install any fans in the front of the case? Or do you just have the CPU and System fans? I was thinking about adding a fan to the side of the case, but I'm not sure if there is a point. Tonight I'm going to replace some cheap thermal paste with arctic silver paste with a stock heatsink. I was thinking about putting in a Zelman fan but I don't really have time to take the whole computer apart.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    What kind of temperatures are you seeing?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    bogdan5 wrote:
    Snadam, funny I have the exact same case. I don't know it seems like there is not enough cooling in it. Did you install any fans in the front of the case? Or do you just have the CPU and System fans? I was thinking about adding a fan to the side of the case, but I'm not sure if there is a point. Tonight I'm going to replace some cheap thermal paste with arctic silver paste with a stock heatsink. I was thinking about putting in a Zelman fan but I don't really have time to take the whole computer apart.

I run an AMD Operton X2, with its stock heatsink (which is really beefy), 120mm system fan in back, and an 80mm fan in the front. Oh wait, I just installed a new copper northbridge heatsink/fan, but it was running cool with the old one anyway. I'm running what came with my case. How hot is your PSU? I remember getting a fancy-shmancy modular PSU that was quiet and cool. I also regularly clean the front grill to maximize the airflow.

As long as the new door panel fan pushes all the hot air out (primarily from the CPU heatsink), then yea it might be worth an extra $6. I also find that good wire management improves airflow ALOT.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    undomiel wrote:

Well, the BIOS shows 42C but any other utility I tried shows average of 50C. Maybe I'm just being paranoid or something. I'm running Q6600.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    bogdan5 wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Well, the BIOS shows 42C but any other utility I tried shows average of 50C. Maybe I'm just being paranoid or something. I'm running Q6600.
    The difference in temperature is from a different workload when actually running your OS and because usually the BIOS will have a small correction applied to it which isn't taken into account by your utility.

Oh and regarding cases, leave the side panel off ;)
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got an Antec Nine Hundred. 120m fans all over and a 200m fan on top to suck hot air out. Amazing cooling.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    royal wrote:
    I just got an Antec Nine Hundred. 120m fans all over and a 200m fan on top to suck hot air out. Amazing cooling.
    +1

I have a friend that bought the Antec Nine Hundred just because it looked impressive and was on sale for $99US. He loves it.

I was strongly considering the Nine Hundred for my next rig, but it's being replaced by the newer and beefier Antec Twelve Hundred, so I may wait to see if a water cooling mod is released for this case.

Update: The Nine Hundred is available as a rebate special on NewEgg.com for $70. The Twelve Hundred is $100 off when purchased with an Antec PSU.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    royal wrote:
    +1

I have a friend that bought the Antec Nine Hundred just because it looked impressive and was on sale for $99US. He loves it.

I was strongly considering the Nine Hundred for my next rig, but it's being replaced by the newer and beefier Antec Twelve Hundred, so I may wait to see if a water cooling mod is released for this case.

Update: The Nine Hundred is available as a rebate special on NewEgg.com for $70. The Twelve Hundred is $100 off when purchased with an Antec PSU.

newegg's "most popular" case, and it has a $40 rebate going on now, bringing it to $69.99 after rebate, not too shabby! http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007&bop=And&Order=RATING

oh and if you want a crazy ass 250mm fan, check this one out by xclio icon_eek.gif
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103010

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would get a Antec as well
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    snadam wrote:
    oh and if you want a crazy ass 250mm fan, check this one out by xclio icon_eek.gif
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103010
    icon_eek.gif is right! Around that my dog would be in certain peril!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I think that this case provides great air flow.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
    The biggest key is the bottom fan. It pulls cool air from below and circulates it. There is also an air duct for your vid card. Killer case in my opinion.