Options

Urgent Help Needed – Citrix IMA Service Won’t Start

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ladies/Gents,

I urgently need your help to try and solve this dilemma. Firstly, a bit of background for you, there are two Citrix servers in the farm one (the one that’s bust) hosts the internal web interface, configuration and presentation server roles. The second server (that’s working!) only hosts the presentation server role.

Earlier tonight we installed routine upgrade to two application on the two Citrix boxes which are both Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP2 and running Citrix PS 4.5. The second server came up fine after a reboot and all services started. The first server however did not, the Citrix MFCOM Service says that never starts and just displays ‘starting...’ within services.msc. The only way to stop it is to end the task!

When trying to start the IMA Server under either the NetworkSystem or LocalSystem account a 1067 error is displayed on screen (nothing in the event log). When trying to start the IMA Service under a domain account (administrator for example) the following message are displayed:-

Services

Windows could not start the Citrix Independent Management Architecture on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -2147483635.

These messages are then displayed into the system event log:-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: IMAService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3592
Date: 01/08/2008
Time: 00:10:53
User: N/A
Computer:

Description:
Failed to start transport with error IMA_RESULT_UNINITIALIZED
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7024
Date: 01/08/2008
Time: 00:10:53
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The Citrix Independent Management Architecture service terminated with service-specific error 2147483661 (0x8000000D).

I have tried the following, all of which have had no affect:-
• Every possible fix that I could find on Google!
• Restored the MF20.MDB and imalhc.mdb from recent backups.
• Verified and Rebuild the LHC
• Tried various different accounts for both services to try and get them running and received the same errors.
• Double checked permission on C:\Windows\Temp and the Environmental Variable settings
• Uninstall and removed every trace of the two application that were upgraded.
• Tried to run a repair on Presentation Server but receive this error - Error 26005: Could not start IMA Service in CTX_IMA_StartIMAService State = 1
• Rebooted the Server multiple times affect every fix.
• Ran the script found here: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX113836

I have had absolutely no luck with any of the above fixes. Does anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this?

Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to outline all of the issues and steps taken to address them so far.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Luke

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What is listed under: "HKLM\Software\Citrix\IMA\Runtime\CurrentlyLoadingPlugin" ?

Have you verified the data store is online and responding? (what is it Access, SQL, Oracle, DB2?)

Also double check and make sure it's pointing to the correct DSN file under "HKLM\Software\Citrix\IMA\DataSourceName"

Then reset the connection to the data store:

dsconfig /user:<user> /pwd:<password> /dsn:"c:\program files\citrix\independent management architecture\mf20.dsn" (or wherever it's located)

Then test the DSN connection using ODBC Data Sources. Then recreate the LHC (dsmaint recreatelhc).

Let me know if any of that helps or what the "CurrentlyLoadingPlugin" value is...
  • Options
    Astorrs, Thanks for your help.

Details as follows:-
    What is listed under: "HKLM\Software\Citrix\IMA\Runtime\CurrentlyLoadingPlugin" ?

ImaAppSs.dll
    Have you verified the data store is online and responding? (what is it Access, SQL, Oracle, DB2?)

It's running access I believe (mf20.mdb) in C:\Program Files\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\
    Also double check and make sure it's pointing to the correct DSN file under "HKLM\Software\Citrix\IMA\DataSourceName"

It's pointing to: C:\Program Files\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\mf20.dsn

Details of file:-

[ODBC]
    DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
    PageTimeout=5
    MaxBufferSize=2048
    FIL=MS Access
    DriverId=25
    DBQ=C:\Program Files\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\MF20.mdb
    Then reset the connection to the data store:

dsconfig /user:<user> /pwd:<password> /dsn:"c:\program files\citrix\independent management architecture\mf20.dsn" (or wherever it's located)

I had to use dsmaint config rather than dsconfig (as that command wasn't recognised) reset this to use the domain administrator credentials. This had no affect the service still won't start icon_sad.gif I also tried the NetworkService account (no PWD), still no luck. Interesting, everytime I recreate the LHC the IMA Service takes longer to start but still displays the error message after a few seconds.
    Then test the DSN connection using ODBC Data Sources. Then recreate the LHC (dsmaint recreatelhc).

I can only see one setting related to this within ODBC Data Sources and it's under the system tab. Details as follows:-

Name: IMADirectory
    Source: C:\Program Files\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\imalhc.mdb

DSCheck comes up with the following:-

Data Store Validation Utility. Version: 6.21

Can't read package info from data store.
    Finished data store validation.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Luke
  • Options
    Just tried this:-

dsconfig /user:citrix /pwd:citrix /dsn:"c:\program files\citrix\independent management architecture\mf20.dsn"

Rebooted, still no joy icon_sad.gif

When running the service as ABIB\Administrator I get this message:-

Services
    Windows could not start the Citrix Independent Management Architecture on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -2147483635.
    OK

When running it as 'NetworkService' I get this message:-

Services
    Could not start the Citrix Independent Management Architecture service on Local Computer.

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

OK
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Set it to run as LocalSystem (I know this is 4.5, but do it anyway). What's the error now? Have you double-checked that the TMP and TEMP system variables point to %systemroot%\temp?

Also you can ignore checking the DSN as its Access so it doesn't matter.

Can you verify (but don't change anything) what's in the MF20.DSN file on the other server? (i.e., is it set up for indirect access to the data store through the first server?)
  • Options
    Well... I've now switched eveyrthing over to the second server. Now just trying to get this box back online but no matter what I try I keep getting this message during install:-

Error 26005: Could not start IMA Service in CTX_IMA_StartIMAService State = 1

Only way I could get something working was to reinstall presentation server on the first box.

Any ideas?
  • Options
  • Options
    Well.. Had to format the server and reinstall everything in the end. I've got people logged in and working it's now a matter of reconfiguring everything! :)