Options

Contracting and medical Benefits in NY/NJ

NemNem Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been having a tough time finding a full-time IT position that offers full-benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k, etc). So, I am considering doing a long term contract, but I don't know how I will be able to cover my medical bills etc.

Is there anyone else in my boat in NJ or am I the only one? Should I just use the NJ and federal 'Just don't get sick' approach to health care?

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you thought about just purchasing health insurance yourself? If you're healthy and want to keep your rates low, get a $5k or higher deductible (this is what my wife and I do -- we pay about $200/month). I'd be nervous about not having any coverage. A swift change in luck could leave you hundreds of thousands in debt.
  • Options
    NemNem Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah.. for any semi-decent coverage in NJ I checked out a couple.. Horizon of NJ is about $550 a month. Everything is capped.. RXs cap is $2500 a year etc. Really stinks esp if you are currently under a doc's care.
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    I hate insurance and the methods of business they employ in the U.S. of A. I currently dropped my insurance with my agency I work through. Pretty much I had to pay the insurance company $1144 a year for $1000 worth of PPO. Needless to say I found that out too late, but lucky for me I only paid in about 8 months of Insurace so I wouldn't get screwed out of $144, the difference between their coverage and how much I would have paid in to that coverage.

Insurance in the USA is a Joke.