Options

VMWare Issues for MS-Press Book 290

ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
Ok so here is my problem. I currently have a domain controller called server1 on a domain called contoso.com and also another server called server2.

The two machines are set up on LAN1 through the VMWare software. The two machines cannot see each other and cant ping each other either.

Does anyone have a clue to what is wrong with my current config setup.
CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
Cisco CCENT In Progress
MCP Server 291 In Progress
C|EH In Progress

Comments

• Options
    rickjr13rickjr13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure how much vmware differs from Microsoft VPC, but on VPC you have to configure which network adapter each VPC is supposed to use. It defaults to the network adapter for the machine, but in a virtual environment you have to set it to "local". Hope this helps, but again, i'm not sure how much vmware is different from vpc.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Check you have both on the same VMNet, you can use VMNet2 as its not automatically bridged or anything by default. This can be configured within Network Settings within the VIrtual Machine Settings.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Moved both machines to VMWare0 Bridged connection. I am currently not connected to a router on my machine since it went down last week and am directly connected to my cable modem. Will this affect why the machine cant see each other.

There is no default gateway listed cause i have no idea what ip to put into there?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Anyone got any input on my situation stuck on my lab and cant continue
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use NAT and set your gateway to the NAT Subnet's Gateway Address which you can find in the VMware Networks when going to start > programs. I use NAT so my systems can get out to the internet but don't interfere with production network.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Royal would you be interested in doing a VNC on my machine and helping me set up the VMWare? I am on AIM at ULWizNeon

Let me know of if anyone else is interested
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    kmfinegan1kmfinegan1 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    did you clone the VM?

If so, check the VMWare config file to make sure that the virtual Network adapters aren't the same MAC.
    In Progress 70-431
  • Options
    Kevin how about you just give me a call its Lars. I called you earlier
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ULWiz wrote:
    Royal would you be interested in doing a VNC on my machine and helping me set up the VMWare? I am on AIM at ULWizNeon

Let me know of if anyone else is interested

I would but I'm about to start formatting in a few. Finishing up a Vlite package to re-install Vista.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    No problem. Appreciate it anyways

If anyone knows anything about setting up the VMWare for what i need please pm me on AIM at ulwizneon.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34023

Fought with this for a while but this post has pretty much everything I did to get this working in VMware.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ULwitz has never answered on solution that has been proposed. There is solution to put the machines on VMnet2 as this is not a bridged connection. My VM is configured like that and works great. Please try this and let us know the result.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VMnet1 is host-only mode. Each VM will only be able to communicate with the host machine.

As someone mentioned earlier, change the NIC settings for each VM to custom and use VMnet2. Verify that the virtual machines are using IP addresses on the same subnet.

If you want the virtual machines to communicate with the host server and each other, set the NIC's to bridged mode (VMnet0), and verify that all systems have an IP address on the same subnet.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you give us the Ip address and default gateway of each virtual machine?

If you want them in a separate environment from the host computer (you mentioned it's a lab) they both need to have the host-only network type.

If you're not on host-only, you will have to change the network properties of the VMs on the home screen of VMware while the 2 VMs are turned off.

Hope this helps.