Options

Help!!!

rooleeroolee Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I'm happily going through my Server 2003 MS press book, doing all the labs, everythings cool, then I get to the Disk Storage section, I'm told to logon to Server01 as Admin, go to Disk Administrator, right click on Disk 0 and convert to Dynamic Disk, reboot the machine, then blam!

"LSASS.EXE - System Error, security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Services cannot start. Error status 0xc00002e1.

Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into directory services restore mode, check the event log for more detailed information"

Now I can't log on unless it's in Directory Services Restore Mode!

Ran ntdsutil files info and for some reason all the files are pointing to the E Drive, which is basically a newly created blank partition.

Not impressed with MS Press!

Any ideas out there?

Cheers,

Richard

Comments

• Options
    TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After you convert it to dynamic disk and you boot in DSRM, does the drive appears to dynamic or basic? If it is appeared to basic, here is a solution provided by microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830574/en-us
    I had a similar problem and I had demoting the AD and promote it again. I replace a value in the registry while i am in DSRM to demote it. I forget how to do it. I will make a search on that.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Important Follow these steps only as a last resort if the domain controller cannot start in normal mode.

To remove Active Directory from a domain controller, follow these steps:1. Restart the computer, and then press F8 to display the Windows 2000 Advanced Options menu.
    2. Choose Directory Services Restore Mode, press ENTER, and then press ENTER again to continue restarting.
    3. Modify the ProductType entry in the registry. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    b. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions
    c. In the right-pane, double-click ProductType.
    d. Type ServerNT in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Note If this value is not set correctly or is misspelled, you may receive the following error message:
    System Process - License Violation: The system has detected tampering with your registered product type. This is a violation of your software license. Tampering with product type is not permitted.
    e. Quit Registry Editor.

4. Restart the computer.
    5. Log on with the administrator account and password that is used for Directory Service Repair mode.

The computer will behave as a member server. However, there are still some remaining files and registry entries on the computer that are associated with the domain controller.
    6. Start Registry Editor and locate the following registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters
    If there is an entry for Src Root Domain Srv, right-click the value and then click Delete. This value must be deleted so that the domain controller sees itself as the only domain controller in the domain after promotion.
    7. Remove the remaining files and registry entries. To do this, follow these steps:a. Start the Active Directory Installation Wizard.
    b. Install Active Directory to make the computer a domain controller for a new, temporary domain, such as "psstemp.deleteme."

Note Make sure that you make the computer a domain controller in a different forest.
    c. After you install Active Directory, start the Active Directory Installation Wizard again, and then remove Active Directory from the domain controller.

8. After you remove Active Directory from a domain controller, remove metadata that is left in the domain. For more information about how to remove this metadata, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    216498 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/) How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful domain controller demotion

you will find additional information in this site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332199/en-us
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    rooleeroolee Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot and let you know how I get on! :D