Options

Rate to charge cousin for side work...

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
My cousin owns an IT company and needs a network engineer. He asked me my rate and I have no idea what to tell him. I did some research and saw a range from 40-100$/hr for contract work. It would just be side jobs from time to time. I have about 5 years experience and the certs I have listed.
"Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd ask for $100!!

It really depends on the type of work. If you are doing rack and stack, loading configs or doing upgrades you will be lucky to get $40hr (depending on location). If you are doing design or advanced troubleshooting you would probably be looking at something in that range you listed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Count on taxes taking 40-45% of your money that you earned. Calculate that into the regular hourly rate that you think you deserve and charge that amount.

Lets say you believe 30 dollars an hour is good for the type of work you will be doing.

30 / .45 = 66.7 dollars

so charge him 67 dollars an hour.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    i just told him 40, after all he is family. thanks for your input fellas
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□

If you plan on making more than 600 a year then you make 18 bucks an hour. Good luck on the new work!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

If you plan on making more than 600 a year then you make 18 bucks an hour. Good luck on the new work!

wow im nice haha. Thanks. Itll be interesting