Options

ISCW: DSL encapsulating PPP with ethernet or atm

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
Study both methods and have no experience with DSL (use cable at home). Was wondering if anyone could explain to me why a company would use one encapsulation method over another?

I know that PPP is needed for session establishment like a circuit, authentication and stuff.

This is an assumption on my part, but I think Ethernet encapsulation would be better because it can handle larger load of bandwidth.

It is also not clear to me how this encapsulation of PPP works. I need a diagram or something. Should I picture it as a tunnel like a l2tp vpn?

Any help to clear this up would greatly be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    gojericho0 wrote:
    Study both methods and have no experience with DSL (use cable at home). Was wondering if anyone could explain to me why a company would use one encapsulation method over another?

I know that PPP is needed for session establishment like a circuit, authentication and stuff.

This is an assumption on my part, but I think Ethernet encapsulation would be better because it can handle larger load of bandwidth.

It is also not clear to me how this encapsulation of PPP works. I need a diagram or something. Should I picture it as a tunnel like a l2tp vpn?

Any help to clear this up would greatly be appreciated

gojericho0,

Do you remember PPP for a serial link at the CCNA level?
  • Options
    yup, its used to encapsulate point-to-point serial links
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    gojericho0 wrote:
    yup, its used to encapsulate point-to-point serial links

gojericho0,

Encapsulate at which OSI model layer?
  • Options
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    are you ntalking about pppoe ?
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    yes, and where the encapsulation takes place and terminates at. I'm assuming it either occurs on the client or subscribers modem\router, inorder for the provider to keep track of the sessions in a multiaccess network, but not sure where it terminates at.

PPPoE i can understand its use and think most subscribers would have this since they are normally connected to an ethernet network

PPPoA confuses me because i'm picturing a bunch of end users connecting to the dsl modem with an ATM connection. Also ATM is also the protocol uses on the DSL network. It just seems a little redundant
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It will depend on how you terminate the DSL connection. If its an Ethernet handoff from the modem to the router then it's PPPoE. If you're using an ADSL WIC in the router then it's PPPoA.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    It will depend on how you terminate the DSL connection. If its an Ethernet handoff from the modem to the router then it's PPPoE. If you're using an ADSL WIC in the router then it's PPPoA.

Ok, that makes sense!

Next questions is if using a DSL modem that also acts as a router, you would not need PPPoE\PPPoA since the router would be changing the encapsulation from ethernet to ATM correct?