Options

A job repost?

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
If your active on these forums you probably know I've been threw a few interviews and work for Firedog right now. But today I saw a job "re"posting for a company that said they "had to" hire this recent college graduate over me because he was a bit more experience. The guy seemed to like me and even let me know all of this threw a phone call not an e-mail.

It's been about a month since I interviewed with the company.
So I guess the guy they hired only lasted about 3 weeks.

I'm just angry to not get an e-mail or phone call with a job offer.
I refuse to call them.

Has this happened to anyone else? Apply for a job, get turned down and a few weeks down the road see the job posting again?
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It happens.

Whether a company chooses to hire you or not has nothing to do with you as a person. The world is not out to destroy you.

You've made bad decisions before. Companies have made bad decisions before.

Now the choice is up to you about whether you want to work there or not. Re-apply to remind them of your existence. Lots of people apply for jobs every day. Places get swamped with resumes once they post. They will file you and forget you. It is not about you. Or just not apply and move on to the next position that you do actually want to work at.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I have seen this as well. I applied for a few jobs and saw them re-post it - so I sent a follow up letting them know I am interested.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1

Don't think your resume is the only one in the filing cabinet, and don't take it personally that they didn't get in touch with you.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your not the first and certainly wont be the last. Like people have said some companies have tons of CV's in the cabinet (if theyve kept them).

If the job is really what you want then swallow your pride, re-apply and take it by the balls!

If you done so well last time, telephone the guy you dealt with and tell him you've seen the ad again and would it be possible for another shot?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I've been trying for the past couple of months to get hired by a company. The job posting is still on there website. The problem is that they are a small company looking to grow but have to find it in their budget to hire new people. So, the middle of every month I send them a nice email letting them know that I am still interested. I've been told that I am still an eligible candidate and that they admire my persistence.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    undomiel wrote:
    It happens.

Whether a company chooses to hire you or not has nothing to do with you as a person. The world is not out to destroy you.

You've made bad decisions before. Companies have made bad decisions before.

Now the choice is up to you about whether you want to work there or not. Re-apply to remind them of your existence. Lots of people apply for jobs every day. Places get swamped with resumes once they post. They will file you and forget you. It is not about you. Or just not apply and move on to the next position that you do actually want to work at.

+1
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Be wary of companies that keep on listing the same job after every other month. Usually means they expect way too much and pay way too little. Generally the people they need for the job demand greater pay than they are willing to shell out. So they hire people with a smaller skill set, and after a month or two boot them because they realize that the person they hired are not qualified for the job. So then the put out another APB on the job vacancy again in hopes of hiring someone willing to work at less than going market rate.

As the addage goes, and from what I observed in these forums, "When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Or something along those lines.

Last thing I want to do is quit my stable job, get hired on some where, and have them drop me because they figure Im not performing well.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    +1

Don't think your resume is the only one in the filing cabinet, and don't take it personally that they didn't get in touch with you.

+2
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Don't discount the possibility of a method to this type of maneuver. If the company called you, you would have much more to bargain with. You know (or think you know) that their last employee failed, so they are likely in need or behind now. You would have the bargaining chip in this case. If they repost and you reapply, you are saying you are still interested and they give out the impression that they are fine waiting. In this case they keep the upper hand. Maybe I am just being cynical, but that is just the way I think.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The situation you describe doesn't surprise me. I agree with the other posters - don't take it personally - but at the same time I don't know if that's the type of place you want to work. Sounds like they either aren't organized, or don't know what they're doing, or are just plain shady when it comes to hiring the right person at the right price.

I see all kinds of job listings (in craigslist) asking for a whole rap-sheet full of qualifications, for jobs such as system administrator, etc. and then at the bottom it says the pay range is $12 - $15 an hour - I don't see how companies have the gaul to expect someone with DBA, Server, scripting, Linux, CCNA, etc to take a job for such a low wage.

I had a job offer once where the company approached me, then my current employer counter-offered, so I went back to them, and they never responded after that. I thought the ball was in my court, but was wrong.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    dynamik wrote:
    +1

I was about to mention that. Heck, they may have lost your resume, or simply can't find it. Send back in your info. again. They get hundreds of those things, no reason to take it personally. He might be going "who was that other guy, he seemed like a good choice, what was his name?"