Options

Panic, Petrified but Passed ...and oh do I hate Prometric.

OdieoneOdieone Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wanted to chime and thank all you guys and this forum for getting me thru 291.

I passed with 842 even with the system crashing twice on me on the same subnetting question. Must really hate that subnet mask or something.

I had mostly DHCP, IPSec, some GPO type questions you would have covered if you did 290 before this. Heres the weird part, i think i only had like a handful of questions dealing with DNS and RRAS.

Materials I used:
MCSE in a nutshell

Sybex Master Active Directory for Windows Server 2003 - Robert King

Sybex CCNA "Unit 3 - Subnetting" - for those who have trouble with subnetting this chapter is worth the price of the book.

Selftest Software

Cramsession

Thus brings to a close one heck of long long 5 days (and 2 months of studying). Net result: Failed Security+ with 690, Passed 70-291, One heck of a headache all thanks to Prometric not letting me reschedule.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not a bad score at all there. In fact, I'd say it's a pretty decent score for the 291.

Putting the books away for a few days and getting drunken_smilie.gif and sleeping.gif ??

What's next?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    nice score. congratulations :)
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • Options
    Thanks but i doubt that I could've done it at all without the help of the forum. In fact, I am sure of it.

I plan to vegetate for a few days, watch the Olympics opening ceremony and give my poor poor head a chance to recover. I think the reason I did as well as I did was because i had a lot of DHCP questions.

I am really of two minds of which road to head down now towards my MCSA. I could take another crack at Security+ or take on 70-270 first then come back for Security+.

Dunno... any advice would be appreciated but for now.. i plan to get some forty winks. Good night world. :D
  • Options
    CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Given that you have passed the 290, doing the 70-270 would be quite easy for you. It being a core exam makes things even better.

Congratulations on the 291 as well!! icon_thumright.gif
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• Options
    Cheers
    :D
    Yeah I was leaning towards 270 and I might do 272 to finish up my MCDST & MCSA at the same time and save Security+ for MCSA:Security.

I just noticed there is quite a few aussies here. I was originally from Melbourne too except now I am working in Tokyo.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah quite a few of us here, Cingular, EdTheLad, you, me and a few others (cant remember the names now). So how's Tokyo treating ya?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Tokyo is a not bad. Good night life for the partying crowd. Salary is not bad and it balances out the 2nd most expensive city in the world. Haha you know you are in trouble when they sell ham in packs of 4 tiny slices for 3 dollars and you can only get sausages one at a time.

Work is always interesting especially with the language barrier. I would say Microsoft has niche market here. I used to read the installation guides for XP and think "geez how simple do you need to break it down...what else are you supposed to do with a CD?" icon_wink.gif

Good to know there are few Aussies here.
  • Options
    CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha, sounds like my sort of place! :D.

Can you speak much Japanese? I'd love to work overseas in IT.
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your pass
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Cingular... Sorry for going awol I was thinking about which exam to hit next. Actually more and more IT jobs are lowering their asking for Japanese language skill level. Its not all over the place but when I first came here. I was told I needed to be fluent (apparently.. most Japanese dont even qualify for this level) to get the job but now you see some that either are daily convo or basic or nothing at all.

NetAdmin thanks for the props.

Actually the hardest thing about living in Japan is scheduling Prometric only exams cause you have to fight it out with people who take english exams and there are a lot of them.. say 14 million in Tokyo alone.

like right now I am trying to find a seat for my 70-270 exam. I only have one slot on offer for the next 3 weeks period and its at 9:15 am of the same day that I have a dentist appointment at 10:30. I reckon I can do it but I really hate to rush but I really dont want to wait until late September to finish this. Plus I have Security+ to resit...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Odieone wrote:
    Sybex CCNA "Unit 3 - Subnetting" - for those who have trouble with subnetting this chapter is worth the price of the book..

Which book exactly is this ? Got an amazon link by any chance ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gomjaba wrote:
    Odieone wrote:
    Sybex CCNA "Unit 3 - Subnetting" - for those who have trouble with subnetting this chapter is worth the price of the book..

He's probably talking about Todd Lammle's book:

CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)

You may want to check the Cisco forums to find out if their is a 6th edition, I don't think 5th edition is the latest. You can also get in hardback, I just did a quick amazon search.

Also almost forgot - congrats to Odieone on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Gomjaba wrote:
    Odieone wrote:

He's probably talking about Todd Lammle's book:

CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)

You may want to check the Cisco forums to find out if their is a 6th edition, I don't think 5th edition is the latest. You can also get in hardback, I just did a quick amazon search.

Also almost forgot - congrats to Odieone on the pass! icon_thumright.gif

Thanks, a colleague of mine had this book and it is indeed the right one (Chapter three is about subnetting indeed :) )

Don't really 'care' which edition .. just wanna get that subnetting stuff into my brain .. don't know WHY I have so much difficulties with that :s
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Yup its the Todd Lamle book. Sorry I should have included the link. My brain was like cotton candy after the exam so I wasnt thinking straight.

But Gomjaba... if subnetting is your weakness. Chapter 3 will set you free. Just to give you an idea how good it was for me. I did my CCNA in 2006. Its more than two years later and I still can vaguely remember the stuff Todd was talking about. It even got the part where you practise doing Class A subnetting in your head.