Options

ugh, decision making.

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Yesterday I was given a choice concerning my current job(Integrated systems, northrop grumman). I work as a contractor, but my job is only going to be good until the end of the year. I've impressed management enough that they are suggesting that I might get a permanent job at the rate I'm going. I'm sure I will :)

although today I was offered a permanent position at Space systems for Northrop grumman. Management at Integrated systems has already said that they would like to keep me, but they didn't mind if I wanted to go to Space systems and get a job that I know will be permanent.

I'm still fairly new and finely understanding how things work at Integrated systems...I'm just finding my place and getting my work done on time. I'm comfortable there and know everyone. Space Systems is a completely new place with new people and possibly new software/technology.

I don't know. icon_sad.gif
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    what will you be doing at the new place? Is it more in-line of the work you'd like to be doing or do you like what you're doing now better? I wouldn't take a job just because it's a permanent offer we've hired quite a few contractors/consultants because of how good they were when they worked with us.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Take the permenant position, if you dont like it atleast its one less thing you have to worry about (steady $$) until you look for permenant work elsewhere. And make sure the Space center is paying you more. :D If they are interested then you must be worth it.

Change is good.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    New software/technology is generally a good thing. Plus a perm job is generally a good thing too. I'd recommend taking a good look at things there.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you use this to negotiate anything where you currently are?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    any way you can ask what the new job entails? I'm assuming they would tell you on the spot since you already work for the company. Then again, I can see why they wouldn't. Either way, I would find out as much about the new job/department as you can before making a decision, especially the $$$ part :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    In the contractor world "permanent" is a relative term, that just means you don't know for sure when it will end.

Go with your gut feeling. If you stay in your current position and it doesn't work out, the company may try to place you on a different contract. Contract companies lose millions because of employee turnover, so many are trying to retain and reallocate good employees.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I agree with the go permanent line as long as it will not be too much of a pay drop (contractors typically get enhanced rates from that of permanent employees) and you would actually enjoy the role.

The job you in now seems like a lot of "ifs" and "buts" with no real clear signal that they will actually hire you at the end of the year. Remember, the end of the year is a crappy time to be looking for a new contract and worse case scenario, you might find you are kicking youself you didn't take the permanet offer especially as you seem to want to stay with that company.

Later on there will be opportunities to move to other roles within the company but typically, only for those on the inside.

I also agree strongly with larrydaman; go with your gut but factor in the worst case scenario considering your temporary nature. If the company takes a downturn (not unthinkable in the current climate) and you'll be one of the first out the door.

Kam.
    Kam.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Management at Integrated systems has already said that they would like to keep me, but they didn't mind if I wanted to go to Space systems and get a job that I know will be permanent.

Wow. Tough call... I would agree with what everyone else is saying. You have to weigh the choices. From what it sounds like, IS says they want to keep you. Ask them to elaborate on that statement if they are open to discussion about your contract terms. If you like the environment your in, except for the fact that it is not permanent and your contract is up at the end of the year with an unclear view for renewal. Bring up your concerns. Either way, until you get more info I guess like the others said you have to trust your gut.

Do you have any more info on Space Systems environment and or employees to get a feel if it is a good move and a good place to work? Plus, if you wait too long, the position may be offered to someone else..so I guess you need to think about that also.

-Rikku