Options

Lab portfolio help

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
Hi,

I am currently stuck at the lab portfolio for BSCI at lab 5.6.4, the challenge question. If anyone is in possession of the lab portfolio and can help out with the challenge question, i will appreciate it!

Thanks
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi kpjungle,

I have the book, what part are you stuck on or confused about with the challenge lab?
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    hi kpjungle,

I have the book, what part are you stuck on or confused about with the challenge lab?

Hi there,

Im having a problem figuring out this challenge lab:

"attempt this exercise based on what you know about OSPF...." you basically have to make a routing loop between R1 and R3, and i just cant wrap my head around it. I dont know how to make this routing loop, using only the distance command.

My issue probably stems from the fact that if RIP routes are not in a routing table, the router wont propagate them further down the line with RIP, and also that OSPF wont install another ospf route if i distance it with 255...

lost here :)
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'll take a look at it tonight and get back to you
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    i'll take a look at it tonight and get back to you

Thanks alot. Been trying for 4 hours now, and about to go bonkers :)
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Bump,

does anyone have any idea how to solve this lab?
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    liven wrote: »
    Bump,

does anyone have any idea how to solve this lab?

I too hope that someone will figure this out, as it still drives me crazy :)
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kpjungle wrote: »
    I too hope that someone will figure this out, as it still drives me crazy :)

Its not possible.
    Two reasons why:
    1) Rip will not advertise a route that doesn't exist in the routing table.
    2) OSPF can only manipulate a route using the router-id of the originator, therefore its not possible to manipulate which interface is the preferred next-hop.

I think the author choose the word ATTEMPT appropriately.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Its not possible.
    Two reasons why:
    1) Rip will not advertise a route that doesn't exist in the routing table.
    2) OSPF can only manipulate a route using the router-id of the originator, therefore its not possible to manipulate which interface is the preferred next-hop.

I think the author choose the word ATTEMPT appropriately.

Yeah, thats the conclussion i came to as well.. For some reason, the LSA's that i know must flow through the serial link and then up to R2, cannot be filtered, otherwise a distance on both R1 and R2 in each their directions would be enough...

Just annoying :) Thanks for the input Ed.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    kpjungle wrote: »
    Yeah, thats the conclussion i came to as well.. For some reason, the LSA's that i know must flow through the serial link and then up to R2, cannot be filtered, otherwise a distance on both R1 and R2 in each their directions would be enough...

Just annoying :) Thanks for the input Ed.

Ed and Kpjungle DUDES THANKS!!!!

I was banging my head against the wall with this one for a while... Not to sound conceited, but I feel like I keep finding little errors in the lab book... Sometimes the "show XXX" output of various commands (in the book) lists ip's and subnets that do not even exist in the lab... I have seen a few other small issues here and there. Not trying to pat myself on the back, but I am just trying to make sure I understand this stuff.

Once again I really appreciate everyone's help.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.