Hello to all the Cigar Afficionados

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
In lieu of another thread by Beaver, I wanted to start a cigar thread on its own. Why? Well I love cigars, and Im always inclined to hear what other people like so I can try it out for myself.

Of the ones I like:

cohiba
macanudo
Davidoff

Personally thouogh, Im not too picky as long as its a good smoke. I have actually had a few REAL cubans (in montreal) before and they were great (and I swear they were laced with something). Until there is no more embargo, Ill stick with Dominicans :)

So, what is your brand?
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I worked in a cigar store part time while in college, so this thread is right up my alley

snadam - gotta love those cohibas!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked in a cigar store part time while in college, so this thread is right up my alley

snadam - gotta love those cohibas!

Those are probably my favorite and moderately priced, IMO
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I don't know a ton about Cigars, I smoke cigars maybe 8 to 10 every year. Other than Cigars I've never smoked anything else.

So, one's I've liked have been

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    MonteCristo No. 2
    Don Diego Playboys

I also had a Cuban Cigar (I live in Detroit, so I'm really close to Canada) and I agree with snadam... It seemed like they were "laced"... I felt buzzed after having one of those.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    other than the cohibas I would usually stick with ashtons and macanudos
    WIP: IPS exam
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I mentioned in Slowhand's thread, but my favorites so far are the Gurkha Legend, Nub Connecticut, and Don Pepin Blue Label. I buy primarily from cigarsinternational.com and tend to visit stogiereview.com to pick up some good info every once in a while.

It's amazing how much depth there actually is in cigars and cigar smoking once you learn about them and explore all those wonderful flavors :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    All of the above. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I have a LOT of different brands in my humidor(s). Gurkha, Don Pepin Garcia, CAO, Rocky Patel, Gran Habano, Sol Cubano, Punch, Olivia, the list goes on and on. Although, I do admit to being (one of the many) completely blown away by Man O' War, which I received last month in the Cigar-of-the-Month club. I'm also big in trying out new things, based either on recommendations by friends and collegues, or just based on what sounds good. Samplers from the various cigar sites come to my house every once in a while, for that reason.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Currently smoking Punch but I think I'll get a varity pack the next time I go to the cigar shop. This cigar shop had a brunch with martinis the other weekend. The even hired some eye candy. It was weird. icon_eek.gif they looked one drink away from being hookers.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    cbigbrick wrote:
    they looked one drink away from being hookers.
    I know that's supposed to be a bad thing, but. . . :P

forgot to add, Ive been also known to enjoy Black & Mild's as well. I love that pipe tobacco smell. Makes me want to try smoking pipe tobacco....out of a pipe!!! :D

• cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Slowhand wrote:
    cbigbrick wrote:
    they looked one drink away from being hookers.
    I know that's supposed to be a bad thing, but. . . :P

What I really meant was if they had one more drink, they would have looked like total hookers...messed up and have the FFL going.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    snadam wrote:
    forgot to add, Ive been also known to enjoy Black & Mild's as well. I love that pipe tobacco smell. Makes me want to try smoking pipe tobacco....out of a pipe!!! :D
    You know, it's funny. I've been thinking about trying out the ol' pipe tobacco as well. Probably not something I can really experiment with and try out at the moment, as I already have three 100 - 150 count humidors packed to the brim with cigars. (That's plenty, for now, especially considering I don't have as much money as I used to, now that I'm working part-time.)

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Recently got some Cohibas and Montecristos down in Belize icon_cool.gif
    And, of coure, just to tease him, I have to link to the thread I made at about the same time snadam made his. After all, he was kind enough to cross-post in mine. icon_lol.gif

Slowhand wrote:
    And, of coure, just to tease him, I have to link to the thread I made at about the same time snadam made his. After all, he was kind enough to cross-post in mine. icon_lol.gif

its all good my friend icon_cool.gif

BTW I really appreciate all the input on both threads. I always like to expand my knowledge of both the stoagie and the drink :D

• Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Montecristo number 2.

I also smoke Drew Estates. Blondie, Khalua, 1400CC,
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And here's a link to the inspirational thread: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36978

Are we confused yet? I'm getting there!
    dynamik wrote:
    And here's a link to the inspirational thread: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36978

Are we confused yet? I'm getting there!

What, you didn't know that LPIC-1 naturally equals cigars? Geesh, where have you been? icon_lol.gif

• ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Marlboro lights...haven't tried the big ones icon_cool.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    i like to enjoy glenfiddich 18yr with my cigars :)
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Arn't you guys concerned with the health risks? lol I can't say much because I smoke cigarettes but arn't the cubans supposed to be much stronger?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    ally_uk wrote:
    Arn't you guys concerned with the health risks? lol I can't say much because I smoke cigarettes but arn't the cubans supposed to be much stronger?

Moderation....I only do it on certain occasions which seems to work out to less than 1 per month on average. Also, like many who smoke cigars, I do not inhale. Of course there are still health risks.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So if I want to try a "decent" cigar...where should I look first?

I know nothing about cigars. Used to smoke cigarettes until I "realized" I hated it. I get the urge to smoke one every now and then, but I just can't do it.

I've only smoked a couple cigars in the past, but remember enjoying it.
    ally_uk wrote:
    There's risk in everything, cigars (and alcohol) are no different. As Megadeth4168 said, moderation is the key. You have to know when to stop, when you're doing more than you can handle, and you have to understand the risks involved. That's why I put up the little stickers that come with my cigar-boxes on my bedroom door:

"WARNING: CIGARS ARE NOT A SAFE ALTERNATIVE TO CIGARETTES"

"WARNING: CIGARS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER OF THE THROAT AND MOUTH, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT INHALE"

"WARNING: PREGNANT WOMEN OR PEOPLE WITH A HIGH PROBABILITY FOR HEART DISEASE SHOULD NOT SMOKE CIGARS"

Just like drinking that brandy, eating that 1,000-calorie burger, or sitting around all day in front of a computer without getting any exercise whatsoever, the trick is knowing what you're getting yourself into so it won't come as a nasty surprise later on. icon_wink.gif

/usr wrote:
    So if I want to try a "decent" cigar...where should I look first?

I know nothing about cigars. Used to smoke cigarettes until I "realized" I hated it. I get the urge to smoke one every now and then, but I just can't do it.

I've only smoked a couple cigars in the past, but remember enjoying it.

first off, Slowhand and Megadeth are dead on. MODERATION is key for anything.

back to the original question;

personally, I like the 3 kinds I mentioned eariler Cohiba, Macanudo, and Davidoff. I think Cohibas are very smooth, and could be a good choice for a first timer. MonteCristo's are really good too.

PS I am by no means an expert, so if anybody has other suggestions, feel free to express them.

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some nice starter cigars (medium bodied):

Romeo Y Julieta
    Macanudo
    Don Diego
    Montecristo
    La Gloria Cubana

I suggest starting off with a milder smoke and then working your way up gradually. Learn how to smoke cigars as well, since there is a right way and a wrong way in smoking. For example, don't puff every 10 seconds like a lot of beginners do because the cigar will burn too fast/hot and ruin the flavor.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    im a cigar lover my self, i have them nicely placed in a woden cigar box with the humidifier and everything, now i like dominican cigars better than cuban, simply b/c their not as strong. I dont like to get half way through a cigar and feeling my through tighten,,,not a good feeling. I do like Montecristo from DR, davidoff DR, romeo and julieta DR, now i hear a lot of u mention Cohiba, now r u smoking the cuban or DR version.

i enjoy them a lot, i do have a subscription with aficionado too :)
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
    Slowhand wrote:
    ally_uk wrote:
    There's risk in everything, cigars (and alcohol) are no different. As Megadeth4168 said, moderation is the key. You have to know when to stop, when you're doing more than you can handle, and you have to understand the risks involved. That's why I put up the little stickers that come with my cigar-boxes on my bedroom door:

"WARNING: CIGARS ARE NOT A SAFE ALTERNATIVE TO CIGARETTES"

"WARNING: CIGARS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER OF THE THROAT AND MOUTH, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT INHALE"

"WARNING: PREGNANT WOMEN OR PEOPLE WITH A HIGH PROBABILITY FOR HEART DISEASE SHOULD NOT SMOKE CIGARS"

Just like drinking that brandy, eating that 1,000-calorie burger, or sitting around all day in front of a computer without getting any exercise whatsoever, the trick is knowing what you're getting yourself into so it won't come as a nasty surprise later on. icon_wink.gif

VERY TRUE, +1
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a fun question for you.

I have never gotten drunk, never touched a cigarette, and never touched a drug.

Would you recommend me trying out a cigar to see if I like it?

The back end questions to this are like, do you think I would like it if I never smoked in my life? And do you think I should never do it becasue of addicting possibilities?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Mishra wrote:

The back end questions to this are like, do you think I would like it if I never smoked in my life? And do you think I should never do it becasue of addicting possibilities?

try it try it try it... well, try it, if you smoke a cigar with a nice 18 year old black stripe scotch whisky and as soon as your done you want it again, and again. then you know your a risk to ur self, if you enjoy it so much for the quality of both the cigar and the whisky, and you cant wait untill the next ocasion to do it again, then your safe. and dont put ice on a 18 year old whisky, thats insulting.
    Mishra wrote:

as long as youre of age (and im 99.9999% sure you are), its all up to you. I would say smoking >10 cigars a year is hardly an addiction. Its all in the sense of moderation. Cigars are definitely an acquired taste. I guarantee that if you have never smoked or drank before you will most likely get a HUGE buzz off you're first cigar (I sure as hell did). Personally I find them relaxing. Its your call, but if you're willing then why not? The only way you'll know if you like it or not is trying. Ive tried chew before, and I will never do it again; but at least I know I tried it. The good news is there are many different sizes and flavors of cigars, so you can try a mellow "shorty" out just to see how its done.