Options

MCSE/MSCA phase out?

imhotepimhotep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I apologize in advance if this question gets asked a lot. Currently I am A+ and Net+ about to begin studying for MCSE. My MS books have been sitting on my shelf for months because I snagged a good deal on them before I actually needed them. Then last week I saw something scary at Borders......Server 2008. I came home and searched for discussion on MSCE/SA being phased out and sure enough I found some threads, but they were rather inconclusive. Some folks suggested that MSCE/SA will be around for years while others stated that by the middle of 2008 (these threads I found were old, late 2007) MSCE/SA would be a waste of time.

For what it's worth, from my perspective these two certs still seem to carry some clout. The IT department where I work will be using Server 2003 for at least two more years I'm guessing. We have one experimental box that's running a single seldom-needed application on Server 2008 and that's mostly for observational purposes.

Since the threads I found are old I'm looking for some more current info and opinions. I'm fully prepared to continue with my plans to earn the MCSE and also MCSA if there is time.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I have read you will be able to update your 2003 MCSE with a 2008 much like they did from 2000 to 2003. I have also read on Microsoft's site that they are not phasing it out. Correct me if I am wrong
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Yes personally If I had to start again I would still go down the 2003 track mainly because most IT depts will be using 2003 for quite a while yet (by that I mean years), then once you've got your mcsa/mcse then its just one 2008 upgrade exam to get you up to the 2008 version of the mcsa/mcse.

really though you should study what you use at work and then maybe think about the next step onwards as I suppose unless companies desprately want to use NAP or something then the 2008 servers will only arrive in dribs and drabs with new servers.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're fine. Server 2003 will be the dominant platform for years, and it will be used well beyond that. After you have an MCSE, you just need the 2008 upgrade, Vista, and Enterprise Admin exams to snag the most prestigious (at least thus far) cert in the new track, the MCITP: EA.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    You're fine. Server 2003 will be the dominant platform for years, and it will be used well beyond that. After you have an MCSE, you just need the 2008 upgrade, Vista, and Enterprise Admin exams to snag the most prestigious (at least thus far) cert in the new track, the MCITP: EA.

Its like people have said 2003 will be about a while yet. it will get phased out some day but not for a while - seen as though they've only recently started phasing 2000 exams.

2003 will give you a good grounding as 2008 has some big changes.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    imhotepimhotep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the settling information :)
  • Options
    OdieoneOdieone Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Imotep... i was checking the microsoft site yesterday for the next exam to take for my MCSA. There is a very small one line bit that said MCSE would be phased out. But Microsoft could change their mind.

That being said, I agree with everybody here. MCSE 2003 will give you good grounding and in Japan where I am now, there are still a fair few companies just upgrading to 2003 from 2000 and older tech.

Plus i remember reading somewhere Microsoft would ease the fears of consumers by extending support for XP for another 13 years or something like that. So MCSE should be safe for another decade or so.
  • Options
    Also, keep in mind that the 2000 exams were only retired this last March. That'll help put things in perspective for you.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Also, keep in mind that the 2000 exams were only retired this last March. That'll help put things in perspective for you.

AH HA! for once someone is one step ahead of you dynamik! not so good after all eh! ;) So much for being MACHINE LIKE icon_lol.gif ...See my post above...
    Its like people have said 2003 will be about a while yet. it will get phased out some day but not for a while - seen as though they've only recently started phasing 2000 exams.

• Options
    Your post was like so totally a day and a half ago and stuff ;)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Your post was like so totally a day and a half ago and stuff ;)

icon_cool.gif