how much of a step up is R&S written?

JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
getting a bit ahead of myself but how much of a step up is R&S written after CCNP and CCIP? just wondering idly if it's a huge leap or whether it could be polished off with minimal study.

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Depending on how you did on the CCNP and how fresh it is in your mind, I would say you can prepare for the written in about a month.

Some people like to make the written more part of their lab studies, and wait longer to take it, but you can get it out of the way sooner if you want.
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The written should test topics/knowledge from both CCNP and the CCIP, some easy points and some not so easy points ;)
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you already started your CCIE Preparation during your CCNP/CCIP studies by reading Routing TCP/IP, and maybe Lan Switching, you should be close to being ready. Then you'd probably want to go through the CCIE R&S Written Exam Certification Guide for a focused review -- and use the Written Exam Blueprint and the Cisco Docs to fill in any gaps in your preparation.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    thanks guys. i think a study plan's forming then. at the moment i'm leafing through the CCIE R&S book to see their take on whatever I'm covering in BSCI. Study upstairs, then just read it later on downstairs infront of the tv. Could easily go through another book as well.

Would I need to get both Vol 1 and 2 of the TCP/IP book?

GT Rob - did you do IMF in the end? IMCH is where it's all at this year!
    ugh I wish. I fell off the wagon pretty bad with my training.

Aiming for a half IM next spring now, then seeing if a full is in my reach for 09. IMF was just an excuse to go to nice :D
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nullrouter wrote:
    The written should test topics/knowledge from both CCNP and the CCIP, some easy points and some not so easy points ;)

Not to hijack the thread....but do you have to have both ccnp and ccip to have a realistic chance to get the ccie? i dont mean the requirements to take the ccie, just in terms of knowledge to prepare for the ccie?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nel wrote:
    nullrouter wrote:

Not to hijack the thread....but do you have to have both ccnp and ccip to have a realistic chance to get the ccie? i dont mean the requirements to take the ccie, just in terms of knowledge to prepare for the ccie?

The BGP and QoS components of the CCIP is really what you need from that track, of course BSCI but that overlaps with the CCNP already. The MPLS knowledge will help with the written but it's not tested on the lab exam (and most likely won't ever be on the lab beyond peering with a provider).
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    nel wrote:
    nullrouter wrote:

The BGP and QoS components of the CCIP is really what you need from that track, of course BSCI but that overlaps with the CCNP already. The MPLS knowledge will help with the written but it's not tested on the lab exam (and most likely won't ever be on the lab beyond peering with a provider).

Thanks for clearing that one up.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    yeah MPLS is probably an overkill as its only needed for the written.

BGP is a HUGE part of the ccie, it can make up as large as 20% of your exam. QoS can be a big one too.

You don't even need CCNA to pass the CCIE, but you need the knowledge it would take to walk into any of the related exams (bgp, qos, bsci) and pass.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, you can't really worry about what percentage each area will be worth on the lab. If there are 6 areas and you miss one 3 pointer from each that puts you at an 82. It's a pass but it may put it in perspective, there isn't much room to mess up in any of the areas weather it be 6% of the exam or 30%.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BGP and QoS of doing CCIP will help heaps with CCIE preperation... MPLS(MPBGP + VPN)not so much but helps with the real world stuff ;)
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • mikeeomikeeo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Expect Bridging/switching and IGP to be worth 50-55 points and the rest spread over IOS features, QoS, security, MCAST and BGP.

all you need is 80 points.....