Options

looking for FastEthernet WIC for my 1700?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey CCNP gurus. for the life of me I cannot find on ebay (do they make it?)
an WIC with FastEthernet. I want to buy a 1700 series cisco router easy all over ebay
but many come with CSU/DSU T1 built in I am using it at home with my DSL connection
I need a FastEthernet preferrably or even a 10mbps would be fine really since I only have DSL that would suffice but I cannot find any card with 10baseT or anything all i get is modem connections or T1 built in csu/dsu ...can any one of you guys point me in the right direction
i want a at least 10mbps card in my 1700 router is that even possibe???? i cannot find on ebay anyone selling those does anyone know where i cab buy some used ones that work>??? thanks

:D

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Why not get a 2620 router or a 2610?

Any reason why you want a 1700 series router?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    WIC-1ENET. There are loads of them all over eBay.

For FE you'd need a HWIC-1FE which your 1700 won't support.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The 1721 comes with a built in fast ethernet port and supports 802.1Q trunking. You can find these pretty cheap on ebay. Through in a WIC-1T or WIC-2T and you have a great router for a lab. The 1700 series also support VWIC and VIC cards so you can move into some voice stuff with these. The 1700's are some great routers and I still see a lot of enterprises using these for VoIP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    networker

what I want it for is a firewall /slash ipv6 tunnel/ portforwarding to my inside server router
    and Yeah, I could use a T1 but T1 wont (I dont think it will) work with my gateway to my DSL
    ISP gateway?? Isn't that just 100BaseT or 10BaseT Cat5 ???

Tiershten

Really WIC-1enet all over ebay man I type that in and nothing can you find me some links
    since you have the magic touch. wil try it again, but I find nothing...

ULWiz

Yeah, I have a 2610 router 1U type but I want to use it for my lab at home.
    But need the 1700 as my firewall gateway for my IPV6 6to4 tunneling fun project
    so 1700 seems nice and I get get a decent IOS for it. I could use a 2600 series
    and you know maybe I will...

thanks dudes

:D
  • Options
    okay tiersten

I lied; man I must have type it in wrong; i am finding butt loads of cards
    thanks
    ;)
    Robert
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    itdaddy wrote:
    Really WIC-1enet all over ebay man I type that in and nothing can you find me some links since you have the magic touch. wil try it again, but I find nothing...
    17 items found here on eBay.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    itdaddy wrote:
    okay tiersten

I lied; man I must have type it in wrong; i am finding butt loads of cards
    thanks
    ;)
    Robert
    icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    There are memory limitations on most of the 1700 series routers except 1760 and 1751 which supports flash size of up to 64 meg and 128 RAM, 1751 supports flash upto 32 and 64 RAM other models maxes out at 16 Meg flash. If you are planning to run OSPF ver. 3 over the IPv6 tunnel you would atleast need advipservices IOS and 16 Meg won’t accommodate that. So make your buying decision with these things in mind.
  • Options
    singh8281
    thanks dude
    yeah I am looking at a 1751 cisco router so yu say i need to up the flash and the ram huh?
    to what? do you recommend and what IOS image would be good to run on it?
    thanks
    I am excited to tunnel to IPV6 hee hee fun fun
  • Options
    singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    Almost all 12.3 (10) and above versions support IPV6 tunneling, however only ipadvservices and above has support for IPv6 ospf, if you're only going to create tunnel and not use routing over it then you would do fine with basic IOS.

You can find out more by going to Cisco.com software advisor page if you have an account other than guest level privelage.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_most_requested_tools.html

I did stumble on page once without logging in that has all the info about what feature set is supported in a particular ver, I should've bookmarked it then, i can't seem to find it now.
    I will post it here in case I come across.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    My only complaint about the 1700 series is the case. Its pretty ugly and also really hard to stack anything on top...