Reporters booted from conference for hacking

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I dunno... Just because it's a hacking conference doesn't mean people can do whatever the hell they want.

Is it clear to you how they actually did it? It doesn't sound like it was over wireless. Did they physically put a device somewhere to capture traffic? They talk about the wired network and then say that stations weren't shielded from each other. Were they using a hub? icon_scratch.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I imagine part of the reason they were booted is they were stupid enough to get caught, or rather give themselves up by trying to post the credentials they'd stolen.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I dunno... Just because it's a hacking conference doesn't mean people can do whatever the hell they want.

Is it clear to you how they actually did it? It doesn't sound like it was over wireless. Did they physically put a device somewhere to capture traffic? They talk about the wired network and then say that stations weren't shielded from each other. Were they using a hub? icon_scratch.gif

It wasn't over wireless, but there are so many simple things that could have been done to stop something like that from the way they described it. And yes it does sound like they used a hub.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.