My Lab Pix

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Here's some of my Lab Pix, it's not fully setup yet, since I am still waiting on some rack.

dscn1009dm6.jpg

Edited many times I had issue with the image icon_redface.gif

Comments

• rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    What? No shorts this time? :)
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    It's all sitting on the carpet??? icon_eek.gif
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately yes, and this is just half of my whole lab. I turn it off when it's not in used, I will take a picture of my whole lab tonite and post it, I still need to integrate my CCNP lab, I will look into getting a skeletek soon.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be sure to enter it into the huge lab pic thread as well: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16972
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    jbaello wrote:
    Unfortunately yes, and this is just half of my whole lab. I turn it off when it's not in used, I will take a picture of my whole lab tonite and post it, I still need to integrate my CCNP lab, I will look into getting a skeletek soon.

Get a piece of plywood. Cheap!! Local hardware shore should have some smaller pieces for a couple of bucks and keep the cables as much as possible off the carpet too!!

Looks good!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    I'll get a 24U rack from skeletek, I am looking into getting one as early as next month...
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Set your electric bill to automatic payment and to not deliver bill to you because you're going to cry when you the amount on paper.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    royal wrote:
    Set your electric bill to automatic payment and to not deliver bill to you because you're going to cry when you the amount on paper.

I paid more than 200 $ last month cause of AC running 24/7 on our apartment, I am moving out of the valley, so hopefully I can minimize Air Condition energy consumption , I replaced all our bulbs to flourescent...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    jbaello wrote:
    I paid more than 200 $ last month cause of AC running 24/7 on our apartment, I am moving out of the valley, so hopefully I can minimize Air Condition energy consumption , I replaced all our bulbs to flourescent...
    Move to the coast and to a place that has a garage that opens to the West. The ocean breeze cools off things nicely. I live a few miles from PCH and I don't have--and rarely need--air conditioning.
    JDMurray wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    Move to the coast and to a place that has a garage that opens to the West. The ocean breeze cools off things nicely. I live a few miles from PCH and I don't have--and rarely need--air conditioning.

Yeah I noticed this, I used to live in Torrance there was absolutely no need for an AC, there is really good downside living in the valley, hopefully I can move as early as next year.
  • RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I paid more than 200 $ last month cause of AC running 24/7 on our apartment

Ouch... So, do you run the AC solely to accomodate the servers or also out of personal preferences?

Well, if you can put up a make shift physical rack or something to allow better airflow and also make sure you can circulate the air (small fan?) You should be able to keep the appliances at a reasonable temp without having to keep the AC at below freezing I would think. Be sure to keep very clean AC filters.. Do you also have to run everything at the same time?

My home lab just consists of an HP AMD tower running VM's very quietly and energy efficient. However, I do miss the benifit of working with physical raid controllers/drives etc... Nothing beats the experience of a physical appliance unit versus emulation. Still, my computer room runs pretty cool and I don't run up the bills. My only compliant is my second tower of an Alienware Aurora is too friggin loud!

Heheh. At my last company, we had a develpment site out in Gualala, CA right by highway 1 along the coast. You could walk to the ocean from the site. However, the salt air made havoc over time to the server/physical components in the exposed server room. I had one server we retired rusted as hell before it was shut down. We moved them to another site and insulated the server area.

-Rikku
    Rikku wrote:
    I paid more than 200 $ last month cause of AC running 24/7 on our apartment

Ouch... So, do you run the AC solely to accomodate the servers or also out of personal preferences?

Well, if you can put up a make shift physical rack or something to allow better airflow and also make sure you can circulate the air (small fan?) You should be able to keep the appliances at a reasonable temp without having to keep the AC at below freezing I would think. Be sure to keep very clean AC filters.. Do you also have to run everything at the same time?

My home lab just consists of an HP AMD tower running VM's very quietly and energy efficient. However, I do miss the benifit of working with physical raid controllers/drives etc... Nothing beats the experience of a physical appliance unit versus emulation. Still, my computer room runs pretty cool and I don't run up the bills. My only compliant is my second tower of an Alienware Aurora is too friggin loud!

Heheh. At my last company, we had a develpment site out in Gualala, CA right by highway 1 along the coast. You could walk to the ocean from the site. However, the salt air made havoc over time to the server/physical components in the exposed server room. I had one server we retired rusted as hell before it was shut down. We moved them to another site and insulated the server area.

-Rikku

The AC is just being run cause its hot where I'm at.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have 2 computers (one workstation and one laptop) and I sleep my workstation any time I'm not using it. Can't imagine having a bunch of 1u's and servers laying around gobbling up my paychecks. The noise, heat, $$$$ it sucks, etc... If I were to do Cisco, I'd probably do GNS3. To each his own though.

Your lab does look nice though.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    I run dynamips on my PC with multiple router instances connected to a cisco callmanager 4.1 running on a vmware with a couple of cisco ip communicator and third party soft phones. I have a fully funtional data and voice network running on two PC's.Talk about cost saving
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    Reminds me of a customer we had at the CompUSA tech shop. He lived by the ocean, had his computer in a little den with an open window out towards the water. When he brought the machine in for repair, (software issue, incidentally,) we opened the thing up to blow the dust out of it and found crusted-on salt deposits on the motherboard, as well as those long, running rust-stains along every slit in the cooling vents on the case. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    Reminds me of a customer we had at the CompUSA tech shop. He lived by the ocean, had his computer in a little den with an open window out towards the water. When he brought the machine in for repair, (software issue, incidentally,) we opened the thing up to blow the dust out of it and found crusted-on salt deposits on the motherboard, as well as those long, running rust-stains along every slit in the cooling vents on the case. icon_lol.gif

Lol well now we know this is a bad idea icon_lol.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    jbaello wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

I didn't say move into the water. In SoCal, a few miles away will do. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    I didn't say move into the water. In SoCal, a few miles away will do. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Pssh. Details, details. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    JDMurray wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

What I meant is the post that slowhand has, not yours JD :)