Options

started new job last week - Some questions

mipoukmipouk Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I started a new job last week - I actually thought i shouldnt take it as they were asking me really tough questions in the interview, and the job spec insisted on SQL, a checkpoint certification, deep knowledge of exchange, etc, so i was worried I had "oversold" myself.

Now im settled in and being paid 24k per annum ( Over the odds for any helpdesk job in the UK) I find myself constantly resetting passwords and reinstalling Office 2003 due to a bug with their systems. My colleagues are all younger than me, and last week proceeded to explain to me what the DSL light flashing means on a router, and how to add a user to a distribution group.

Having been made redundant and fretting over my mortgage, I should be thanking my lucky stars for landing a job i can do standing on my head, paying seemingly too much money for me to sit on my backside doing 1st line stuff, in a nice office, with a good bunch of guys as colleagues.

I cant believe how much i was grilled in the interview, how badly they wanted to see my MCSA paper certificates, just for me to do windows xp account issues.

What i guess im saying is that im glad i have a fairly well paid job, close to home for easy stuff, but for me its not enough - I want to build on my knowledge of server stuff and use my credentials.

What should i do? Stay at the company and keep learning via my own home study and get the MCSE, and possibly try for the CCNA after (which im aiming to do), or jump ship at a moments notice?

It seems these days that there are more and more jobs entitled "1st to 3rd line" and ive seen sys admin jobs which state you will be on helpdesk too. I just want to break away from helpdesk and do server support stuff.

Any ideas? Cheers, Mipo

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    give it some time, having started only a week ago it may take some time to get integrated into all of your job functions, you could also take some initiative and show them you want more responsibility, ask what can/needs to be done and make it known you want to take on a bigger job role, i'd say after a few months you don't seem to be doing what you were told take it up with your boss and possibly look for a better opportunity but like I said earlier don't jump ship only a week or so into the job.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wrapping up your MCSE and tacking on a CCNA will probably help you get the most out of your next job. I think you should stick it out until you complete those. Who knows, something interesting might crop up there as well.
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    mipouk wrote:
    I started a new job last week - I actually thought i shouldnt take it as they were asking me really tough questions in the interview, and the job spec insisted on SQL, a checkpoint certification, deep knowledge of exchange, etc, so i was worried I had "oversold" myself.

Now im settled in and being paid 24k per annum ( Over the odds for any helpdesk job in the UK) I find myself constantly resetting passwords and reinstalling Office 2003 due to a bug with their systems. My colleagues are all younger than me, and last week proceeded to explain to me what the DSL light flashing means on a router, and how to add a user to a distribution group.

Having been made redundant and fretting over my mortgage, I should be thanking my lucky stars for landing a job i can do standing on my head, paying seemingly too much money for me to sit on my backside doing 1st line stuff, in a nice office, with a good bunch of guys as colleagues.

I cant believe how much i was grilled in the interview, how badly they wanted to see my MCSA paper certificates, just for me to do windows xp account issues.

What i guess im saying is that im glad i have a fairly well paid job, close to home for easy stuff, but for me its not enough - I want to build on my knowledge of server stuff and use my credentials.

What should i do? Stay at the company and keep learning via my own home study and get the MCSE, and possibly try for the CCNA after (which im aiming to do), or jump ship at a moments notice?

It seems these days that there are more and more jobs entitled "1st to 3rd line" and ive seen sys admin jobs which state you will be on helpdesk too. I just want to break away from helpdesk and do server support stuff.

Any ideas? Cheers, Mipo

Hang in there bud,

I recently left my current job for a position at Northrop Grumman, one in which I was greatly overqualified for. I stuck it out for 5 week and had to leave, but right now while looking for a job I wish I hadn't.

If you need the experience, keep at it and enjoy the easy money. it's good experience and use your free time to study up!
    I used to run the internet.