Options

Hope you didn't need your VMs today...

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Comments

• Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    That was posted last night? I have not heard the world explode yet... I have plenty of ESX customers and not one call.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cacharo wrote:
    That was posted last night? I have not heard the world explode yet... I have plenty of ESX customers and not one call.
    But have any deployed 3.5U2? For many the headaches began early in the morning when DRS started puking left right and center
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You just can't power on a machine. They'll keep running if they were already powered on. Seems like DRS and possibly vmotion might have problems as well.

It's on VMware's support forum: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/162377?tstart=0
  • Options
    Yeah so that means VMotion doesn't work...

And god help anyone who has automatic updates enabled (it's Tuesday) or who is using/testing DPM.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'm surprised at VMware for releasing something with such a major flaw. Their temporary "fix" is to roll back your clock to the 10th. Not too great if you actually want a correct timestamp for anything...

Kinda slow as well on releasing a patch as well. Not very enterprisey is it if you've gotta wait a day for an urgent fix...

Thankfully I've not upgraded to 3.5u2 :)
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    I'm surprised the VMware for releasing something with such a major flaw. Their temporary "fix" is to roll back your clock to the 10th. Not too great if you actually want a correct timestamp for anything...

Kinda slow as well on releasing a patch as well. Not very enterprisey is it if you've gotta wait a day for an urgent fix...

Thankfully I've not upgraded to 3.5u2 :)
    Yeah the community is pissed. And they've done this kind of thing before, heck they even screwed up when they released update 1... Would love to see some stock movement to "encourage" better testing in the future.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Yeah the community is pissed. And they've done this kind of thing before, heck they even screwed up when they released update 1... Would love to see some stock movement to "encourage" better testing in the future.
    Pissed is an understatement :D VMware have said that its had minimal impact because nobody should be running 3.5u2 on production system yet since its only been 2 weeks...

I wonder if people will/could sue VMware over this since it could be costing businesses significant amounts of money due to downtime.
  • Options
    Could you imagine what it would have been like if it had been October 12th after a few months to get it onto those production systems... oh dear.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow... Having a flaw like that is amazing...
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    astorrs wrote:
    Yeah so that means VMotion doesn't work...

And god help anyone who has automatic updates enabled (it's Tuesday) or who is using/testing DPM.

Actually, VM restarts should be fine. It's "powering on" VM's that would be the problem.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Actually, VM restarts should be fine. It's "powering on" VM's that would be the problem.
    Ah good point so never mind that one. I'm just glad it happened so soon after release so no one I know had deployed it in production yet.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Actually, one of my customers did have it in production. They deployed ESX 3.5 Update 1, and then used Update Manager and patched them to current. That still impacted them!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    I hate these LOL cat things too, but had to pass this along: http://vmprofessional.com/2008/08/esx-lolcat.html
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    I hate these LOL cat things too, but had to pass this along: http://vmprofessional.com/2008/08/esx-lolcat.html

I love those and that is a good one!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Another undocumented "feature" that VMware added to 3.5u2 is that all the nodes in your HA cluster must have the service consoles used for the heartbeat on the same network. It didn't used to be like this but they did a stealth change in 3.5u2 which enforced it. VMware forum link
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    Another undocumented "feature" that VMware added to 3.5u2 is that all the nodes in your HA cluster must have the service consoles used for the heartbeat on the same network. It didn't used to be like this but they did a stealth change in 3.5u2 which enforced it. VMware forum link
    Its always been a BP for those kind of heartbeat networks, but you've gotta love it when they "enforce" it without really announcing it. icon_rolleyes.gif