Options

The "Matt George" Tutorial to Home Cisco Routers

mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
Yes, I did it again, another tutorial/guide

I wrote this tutorial by request of a friend but I also see many many questions relating to configuring a Cisco router for a home router, and this will help alleviate some questions.

Please keep in mind I have not had this tutorial proof read yet, I just finished it 5 minutes ago. Please feel free to private message me for corrections.

Thanks

Matt George

http://www.lextrain.com/documents/ctutorial.pdf
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice guide Matt. Have you ever thought about creating a blog or CMS for your content? That would probably make your content accessible to more people and allow you to get more exposure for yourself as well.
  • Options
    I have, but if you know me well enough, you'd know that my free time comes and goes, and i would hate to get into something and abandond it for months at a time. Most of my time is taken up with CCIE studies and teaching part time.

I have thought about adding another section to this little guide where users could use a single FastEthernet interface for cable modem users using intervlan routing and 802.1q trunking. Unfortunately this kind of configuration was never supported by cisco for the PPPoE dialer. You can accept dialin's but you cannot do pppoe dialouts 802.1q sub interfaces, which is actually kind of disappointing.

Also I'm probably going to add to it using the WIC-1ADSL and HWIC-1ADSL cards in the future once I get a decent amount of free time.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very nice guide, thanks for sharing. :D
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Nice tutorial Matt I enjoyed your original when I was studying for my CCNA.
  • Options
    I appreciate the complements guys :D

I will try to get around to writing/adding more types of simple guides like this one but much of my time has been taken up studying for the CCIE R&S Lab exam and writing a CCNA Lab workbook, so far I've invested over 100 hours writing it and I'm even not half way done yet icon_rolleyes.gif

If anyone has any questions with this guide or need help then feel free to post.