Options

vmware and windows server 2008?

vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
i have vmware version 1.0.1 build-29996 on my xp machine. i installed windows 2003 server on the vmware. but now i have a windows server 2008 cd. i want to install it on vmware to mess around with it. but on the vmware, when i select the os to install, 2003 is the latest.

questions:
1. can i pick the 2003 server as the drop down selection for my windows 2008 server install?
2. if not, does the latest vmware has windows server 2008 as the latest install?

thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Upgrade VMware to the Server 2.0 beta and you'll be good to go.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    questions:
    1. can i pick the 2003 server as the drop down selection for my windows 2008 server install?
    2. if not, does the latest vmware has windows server 2008 as the latest install?

thx in advance.

1.) Yes. You can pick any of those, they're just default settings they'll fix for you and really you could pick linux and install Windows 2008 on it and it would work.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Upgrade VMware to the Server 2.0 beta and you'll be good to go.

what are the limit of beta vs full version of vmwara? and how much space do i need for windows 2008?
  • Options
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I run two 2008 domains on my Vista 64bit VMware Workstation box and it works great. I know you asked about VMware Server but figured I'd throw in the Workstation view point.

Server 2008 is definitely full of win!
  • Options
    ok i got a problem....the 2008 server i install on the vmware doesn't have a nic driver for it. but it is located on my other xp and windows 2003 server on my vmware...how can i transfer the nic driver file to my windows 2008 on vmware? thx in advance.
  • Options
    How did you do the install? On VMware Server 1.0? The driver would be included with the VMware Tools from Server 2.0, hence why I suggested upgrading to it.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    How did you do the install? On VMware Server 1.0? The driver would be included with the VMware Tools from Server 2.0, hence why I suggested upgrading to it.

i installed windows 2008 with iso image on vmware server 1.0.1. what should i do to get the nic driver on the 2008 machine?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:

i installed windows 2008 with iso image on vmware server 1.0.1. what should i do to get the nic driver on the 2008 machine? and do u have the direct link to vmware tools from server 2.0?
  • Options
    Have a look at the VMX file for the Windows 2008 virtual machine (this is a file in the directory on the host that contains the VMDK disk files), and tell me what "ethernet0.virtualDev" is equal to.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Have a look at the VMX file for the Windows 2008 virtual machine (this is a file in the directory on the host that contains the VMDK disk files), and tell me what "ethernet0.virtualDev" is equal to.

ok...found the vmdk file. but am i supposed to open it up with notepad? i open it up with notepad and cant find any world that said "ethernet0.virtualDev" what now?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The VMDK is the disk. You want to edit the VMX file. If there isn't an entry for it, add one.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    The VMDK is the disk. You want to edit the VMX file. If there isn't an entry for it, add one.

what exactly should i put in that file from my notepad? and then what is next step...i dont see how i can transfer the nic driver file to my windows 2008 on my vmware.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh sorry, I misread what astorrs asked. I thought he was asking you to modify a value for it. You can add parameters if they're not already in there.

So there isn't an entry for that in the vmx file?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    Exactly where I was going with it. You need to force the VM to use the Intel Pro1000 driver so Windows 2008 has a driver for it.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:

ok i read it..it said the trick is to do it before my windows 2008 installed. but if u already installed it...u r sol. oh well..i guess i have to reinstall 2008 and waste 1 hour of my life again.
  • Options
    You should be able to just uninstall the network adapter from within Windows, shutdown, then change the VMC file, reboot and force a scan for new devices.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    You should be able to just uninstall the network adapter from within Windows, shutdown, then change the VMC file, reboot and force a scan for new devices.

how do i uninstall if windows is not detecting any nic in its system? i went to device manager on windows 2008 and its an exclamation mark and said something about nic not detected.
  • Options
    The driver is not being detected, but the NIC is or it wouldn't be listed. Right-click on it and "Uninstall"
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    The driver is not being detected, but the NIC is or it wouldn't be listed. Right-click on it and "Uninstall"

after uinstall..what is next step?