Options

Job with Dept. Homeland Security

RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just had a recruiter contact me who is submitting me for a contract to hire perm sys admin position with Dept. Homeland Security near my location.

Kind of scary...not sure if it will be a plus or a negative view to have on ones resume..I am sure the opinions on that area are varied...

-Rikku

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't see how it could hurt on ones resume.

Unless you were trying to get a job with Al-Qaeda icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Unless you were trying to get a job with Al-Qaeda icon_lol.gif
    Nah it would still help then as you would know all the inner workings icon_cool.gif
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Rikku wrote:
    I just had a recruiter contact me who is submitting me for a contract to hire perm sys admin position with Dept. Homeland Security near my location.

Kind of scary...not sure if it will be a plus or a negative view to have on ones resume..I am sure the opinions on that area are varied...

-Rikku

Just don't plan on joining a professional system administration group AND accept the SAGE System Administrators' Code of Ethics. It seems highly likely that a job with Homeland Security will have you crossing ethical boundaries often.
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote:

Just don't plan on joining a professional system administration group AND accept the SAGE System Administrators' Code of Ethics. It seems highly likely that a job with Homeland Security will have you crossing ethical boundaries often.

I doubt that. It will probably be pretty standard stuff, except you'll be working on a network that is constantly being attacked.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Sounds like a great opportunity!! I would take it. Are they bringing you in as a contractor or will you be a civilian on the GS Pay Scale? They have a HOmeland Security office in my area and they have money out the WOOZLE and I.T. gets a lot of it too.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Absolutely. The security clearance (I would expect Top Secret or TS/SCI would be required given the information being stored on the network) will be invaluable for future work if you decide to move on.

Good luck. :D
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice, you may get to play with some of their Sidewinder firewalls. Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Go for it!! Keep track of everything you touch and work on. It won't hurt. You will be required to be able to get a security clearence or maybe higher. Depends on the position. They do have a lot of toys to play with. They should because they are sucking every other department dry except for DOD.

Cheers
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    Hey There,

I have an phone screen interview setup today at 2. I will let you know how it goes.

Well, suprisingly enough. They do NOT require security clearance for this position. Which, makes no sense to me at all. I mean...isnt this supposed to be Homeland Security?

What they do require is the following:

No previous criminal record

That you be a U.S. Citizen

and get this....a high or good credit score/rating. (apparently ,if you have a low score..they think you could be vunerable to bribes...)

Isn't that odd that they check your credit history? Of course, they do a full background check/education/certifications etc... I was also told on the phone that they will ask me some technical questions, such as what do I do when I encounter such and such or what are the different raid levels..etc...etc. I was also told I would work with WinXP and Win2000 systems and that they IT team is big on using AD.

Thats about it. I will let you guys know how it goes.

-Rikku
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Every place checks your credit history now. It's ridiculous.

Good luck with that!
  • Options
    Rikku wrote:
    No previous criminal record

That you be a U.S. Citizen

and get this....a high or good credit score/rating. (apparently ,if you have a low score..they think you could be vunerable to bribes...)

They may not require a security clearance to start, but this sounds like they will be trying to get you one as this is the main stuff checked when getting cleared.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    yeah...unless they have you fill out a bunch of paperwork about you and your family, it may just be a simple background check that they may do on their own that is required for all Public Trust positions. They may even do a background investigation on their own without going through the standards that SSBI and the other one for Secret goes through to get you a standard security clearance. Either way, it's a good opportunity. good luck!!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Hey There,

I just finished the phone interview and I think it went fairly well.

Looks like there is security clearance after all. They apply the security clearance to me (after) I sign on full time from the 3 months probationary period. But, if and when I leave the position, my security clearance follows with me...I cant keep it unfortunately.

I will find out in 6 to 8 weeks if I was chosen.

-Rikku
  • Options
    Well, I guess it is not going to take 6 to 8 weeks after all to find out if I got the position!

Apparently Apogen really liked me and want to make me an offer to work for them for the Sys Admin position with Dept. of Homeland Security. The recruiter said I should get a call within a day or two and that it takes 6-8 weeks only if the security clearance is taking time; but that it should not be the case here.

Quite frankly I am surprised. I did not think I did all that great in the interview, but apparently they thought so..so I guess that is all that counts.

Thanks for all of the input and help guys. I will let you know how it goes.

-Rikku
  • Options
    Congrats!

I figured you would have to get cleared eventually working for the Dept. of Homeland Security.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Awesome job and best of luck with the great opportunity!!