Options

MDF Closet Cable Management

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
I am going to be tackling a CRAZY mess of a wiring closet that has never been managed. Any good tips? I have some cable management tools, hook and loop, some,cable panels, What else do you guys think will be good. I want to stay away from zip ties unless necessary.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    take pictures (if the employer will let ya that is)
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Zip ties suck. Buy velcro wraps by the roll, along with standard cable management (don't forget the vertical runs to go with the horizontal - unless the cabinet/rack has vertical ones built in) and you will be rocking.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 for velcro. They're great for everything, even small projects. I have a few small rolls lying around the house. They're faster, resuable, and they don't irritate my wife's wrists like the zip ties do. Wait.. What? Did I mention they were convenient?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    ... and they don't irritate my wife's wrists like the zip ties do. Wait.. What? Did I mention they were convenient?
    OMG icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    and they don't irritate my wife's wrists like the zip ties do.

I've lost some good silk ties that way...

+1 for velcro
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Hook and Loop is quickly becoming the new duct tape, at least in the bedroom. ;)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My previous boss made us use wax string... That was for the birds.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If it is a mess and it has never been managed properly then unfortunately you're going to have to do this the long and tedious way. For each cable you'll need to work out where it is from and where it is going before you start redoing everything. This means lots of photos if you can, a very large clipboard to write down everything, a big bag of writeable tags and a huge amount of time.

Oh and +1 for velcro...
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Velco is awesome and has lots of uses, :P but you might check out www.cableclamp.com also.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    If it is a mess and it has never been managed properly then unfortunately you're going to have to do this the long and tedious way. For each cable you'll need to work out where it is from and where it is going before you start redoing everything. This means lots of photos if you can, a very large clipboard to write down everything, a big bag of writeable tags and a huge amount of time.

Oh and +1 for velcro...

+1, but use a label maker to mark the patch cords, they are pretty cheap.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    +1, but use a label maker to mark the patch cords, they are pretty cheap.
    I prefer labels like this personally, i find they don't wear out as easily - and they look purdy.

cable%20label.jpg

One of the DC's here in Vancouver I helped commission uses them on all networking, power, storage (fiber), etc cables - and then actually documents the connections - I know mind blowing. ;)
  • Options
    Yea I am getting my boss to buy a Toner kit, Label maker and a few rolls of hook at loop. I have about 8 closets to do. in 5 different locations. Should be exciting. Anyone got a label maker they really like? One i can do patch panels and cable with?
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    Silentsoul wrote:
    Yea I am getting my boss to buy a Toner kit, Label maker and a few rolls of hook at loop. I have about 8 closets to do. in 5 different locations. Should be exciting. Anyone got a label maker they really like? One i can do patch panels and cable with?

http://www.galco.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WA/WCat/webpromo2.htm?promo=710brdyxpert&source=AdWords&gclid=CPyskJGGlJUCFSRaiAod_iSkfQ

We have had pretty good luck wit the brady label xpert.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use both zip ties and velcro for cable management, depending on the situation. However, I primarily used either blue or black velcro; which I prefer to use.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    tiersten wrote:

Oh and +1 for velcro...

Eh for working out where it is from and where it is going, you can use a tracer. No need to rip apart existing wiring to find where ends meet.