Options

OpenSuse to Windows XP

moisesCujardomoisesCujardo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
dear all,

hi guys, ahm i'm really not sure if i've posted this issue of mine to the correct section
of this forum. if i did not, feel free to correct me...

i have a laptop running on OpenSuse, I want to use Windows XP SP2 on it.
My problem is that whenever I boot from the XP installation CD, the CD tries to
detect all hardware on my laptop but, by the time it asks me if i'm going to install
Windows XP, and when I chose Install Windows XP, it prompts me with an error
saying that Set up could not continue because There is no Hard Disk Detected...

How could that be?
I can I go over this one?

Thank you in advance...

moises

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to go to the manufactures web site and download drivers for the hard drive controller in the laptop. When the XP install starts is says press F6 to install additional drivers at the bottom of the screen, press F6. Then load the drivers you downloaded via floppy.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yeah, the OpenSuse shouldn't interfere with anything in the XP setup (at least not until you go to partition the drive!). Even better than hitting F6 is to use nlite (www.nliteos.com) and make a custom XP CD that has your drivers in it. You can also take out extra stuff from the XP install and add in things like updates.

You basically follow the wizard -- telling nLite where your i386 folder is, what features to add and subtract, and what to do with the image it makes -- which is usually make an ISO and burn it to disc.

nLite is also good for those times when your systems dont have floppy drives.