nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good luck on the second attempt.

but honestly get more lab time in - you will def need to come icnd2
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    your right about the lab time. Very important. But I have been studying my but off since I got my virtual lab so hopefully I should be ok with that part for ICND1 by thursday. I just want to retake it while it is still fresh.

ICND2 will definelty require some heavy duty lab time. The Sybex virtual lab has 220 exercises in itm so I should stay busy for a while, plus and have my Odom ICND2 book, as well as some material I bought from preplogic.com.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    VictoriousVictorious Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your second attempt.
    You came really close and I suggest that you take it again very soon while the material is still fresh in your memory. On my seond attempt I failed with a 768 and took it a week later (yesterday) and nailed it with a 909. So, now I am on to the ICND2.

Good luck and I look forward to welcoming you into the Cisco family. icon_wink.gif
    Victorious
  • Options
    omg! I cannot believe I did not pass this time!!!

I felt comfortable going in, even confident. I am so disappointed with myself.

Too make matters worse, I did worse this time then I did on my first try....I didnt even finish!!! icon_eek.gif

I had about 10 questions left. This time around I had totally different questions. many more router sims and questions which required subnetting. I think those questions drained my time as I was careful to ensure I got those right.

I feel like such an idiot, lol. I know they are meant to be difficult, and if it were easy everyone would be certified. At least that is what I am going to keep telling myself, lol.

As an aside, I saw this colleague, which I really do not care for, and was feeling low and I told him what had happened, and he had the balls to say something like "you failed CCENT?", lol. Now keep in mind that this guy is not certified at all (I atleast have my Netowrk +) and only got the job because he is buddies with a manager in another dept.

JerK icon_mad.gif now I remember why I dont like him, hehe.

I WILL STUDY FOR TWO TO THREE WEEKS AND I WILL PASS THIS DARN THING!!!!

EDIT: its nice to have a virtual shoulder to cry on :D

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    human151 wrote:

Maybe you should stop setting unrealistic time goals and just study until you know the stuff. Not to be a jerk too, but the CCNA is not a very hard certification if you just take the time to learn all the material rather than rushing to take the exam (twice) before you are ready.

Good luck on your future attempt!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    VictoriousVictorious Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey buddy don't feel too bad. It took me 3 attempts before finally passing it. Never quite and never, ever give up. Those who are truely successful in life are the ones that keep going.....

"Success seems to be connected with action. Successful men keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit." Conrad Hilton

I would suggest getting "CBT Nuggets" Jeremy is the best!!

And if it is that easy...tell that idiot coworker to take the test then.

icon_wink.gif
    Victorious
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    human151 wrote:

Maybe you should stop setting unrealistic time goals and just study until you know the stuff. Not to be a jerk too, but the CCNA is not a very hard certification if you just take the time to learn all the material rather than rushing to take the exam (twice) before you are ready.

I agree with you here. This test is not all that hard. I passed it on my first try. I don't have a ton of experience with Cisco but I took my time to learn the material and did a lot of lab work. Learn subnetting, ACL's NAT, and routing protocols and you will do fine.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the CCNA FAQ

Look for the subnetting questions practice link (and another study link).

Odom is the best book.... but you might consider tossing in the first few chapters from Todd's CCNA book (from Sybex) as another source. A different approach to teaching may help you learn (and remember) some of the basic trivia you need to master for the ICND1 exam.

Have you compared your exam results against the ICND1 Exam Blueprint? Doing that should help point in towards specific topics you may need to review or study again harder. Tasks that have "action words" like connect, configure, verify, troubleshoot, etc, would require some more hands on lab work (if your scores were weak in those areas).

How many times you take the exam isn't important -- it's how well you learn the material that does matter.

Good Luck! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    human151 wrote:

I understand and can appreciate what you are saying. I really can. But I do feel I am ready. Of course I dont know the material %100 but I am comfortable with the material. Heck, I did only miss the first test by 25 points, thats only like 3 or 4 questions. I know I totally blew this test, but I think it was because I ran out of time. I believe I did well on most of the questions I answered (but of course I will never know). I took too long on the questions, I wanted to make sure I did do a good job. Of course if I was less shaky on the questions most likely I would have answered them faster.

What can I say? Maybe Im a bad test taker? WHo knows.

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Time Management is one of the things we'll usually remind people about if they ask for any last minute advice before the exam.

You shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes on a SIM -- and you should keep an eye on the clock during the exam. If you need more than 10 minutes for a SIM, you probably didn't do enough hands on lab practice -- and it probably won't matter how long you stare at the SIM.

I'd usually jot down the time and the number of questions on the exam (when they tell you at the beginning of the exam) and do a quick time check around the exam mid point (and after the SIMs).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    human151 wrote:
    human151 wrote:

I understand and can appreciate what you are saying. I really can. But I do feel I am ready. Of course I dont know the material %100 but I am comfortable with the material. Heck, I did only miss the first test by 25 points, thats only like 3 or 4 questions. I know I totally blew this test, but I think it was because I ran out of time. I believe I did well on most of the questions I answered (but of course I will never know). I took too long on the questions, I wanted to make sure I did do a good job. Of course if I was less shaky on the questions most likely I would have answered them faster.

What can I say? Maybe Im a bad test taker? WHo knows.

You can't be ready if you are failing. You ran out of time because you aren't ready for the test. If you are shaky on the questions then you aren't ready. You shouldn't be that shaky, and 25 points doesn't necessarily mean 3-4 questions because they are weighted different, for all you know you could have been 12 questions away. I am not trying to discourage you but you have to be realistic about where your skills are. Study more till its almost second nature and your time as far as subnetting is innate.
  • Options
    wow you people are mean icon_confused.gif Thats some vicious criticism. Its alright, only makes me want to pass it more.

I have been browsing here for a while, I often recall people failing once, sometimes twice, even three times occasionally. I have never seen anyone go off on them. So whats? Seems the cisco eites have been unleashed. lol.

I thank those who offered positive remarks. I'm very appreciative.

time to hit the lab.

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had no Cisco experience going into the CCENT 640-822 ICND1 exam when I first took it. All I relied on was simulators and book studies. Failed the first attempt by a small margin, I felt I was ready at that time. I covered the material twice and reviewed everything, ran through the necessary labs. Left the 1st test very determined to hit the books harder, covered my week points, and then went back later and did well on the 2nd attempt. Mind you, I almost passed the 1st time with a small margin, but passed the 2nd time by a good margin after strengthening my weak points.

I honestly felt I was ready the 1st time, but having no experience with Cisco and their testing methods testing then I suppose I felt a little uncomfortable and nervous which may have had some influence. I have been studying for the 640-816 ICND2 since then and still feel that I am not ready, so I continue to study. Keep at it, you are the only true judge to whether you are ready or not.

Take whatever is said with a grain of salt and move forward, our destinations are all pretty much the same anyways.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□

This is a fine thing to say and I'm not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of it. It's great to have a strong head and determination to pass.

I would take this opportunity to review your study methods and find out exactly what is keeping you from passing this test. You will need to refine your study methods for future IT certifications so that you can pass these tests without failing (to save money too). For example, you know when you ran into the question about NAT that you had no idea what they were talking about . So try to figure out why?

Is it because you aren't reading the material well enough? Is it because you need to have multiple sources for the ideas to sink into your head? Are you reading the material trying to absorb it rather than trying to !Understand! it?

Make sure you read other posts in this forum to find out what they did to pass the test. Little things like "you need to be able to subnet in 30 seconds" are very valuable to your time management.

So think about these things and try to fix your study errors before you try this test again. Stay strong and focused on learning the material and always make sure to lab everything you can (even with other certifications).
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    human151 wrote:
    wow you people are mean icon_confused.gif Thats some vicious criticism. Its alright, only makes me want to pass it more.

I have been browsing here for a while, I often recall people failing once, sometimes twice, even three times occasionally. I have never seen anyone go off on them. So whats? Seems the cisco eites have been unleashed. lol.

time to hit the lab.

Hey man,

sorry you didnt make it this time. Dont take the comments the wrong way because the guys here mean nothing by it - they are simply giving honest advice and i know it may not seem like it at the moment but sometimes the best advice is the stuff you dont wanna be hearing. but lets face it i would rather be told straight than possibly waste more time (and money) on the exam.

You've said there are some area you werent comfortable in? could you post or scores for each section? and maybe we could point you in the right direction. If you struggled with subnetting it will be V.hard to pass this exam because its something that is tested on time and time again. most recommend to be able to do subnetting in your head within 15 secs. can you do this? At first i thought wtf! but when you learn the best method for you, practice, practice, practice until you can do it quickly.

Its like others have said, make sure you know the material inside out on this one. I was like yourself and others who had no cisco experiance so i must have read the odom book 4-5 times solid whilst supplementing it with sybex, cbt's, cisco docs etc. seems overkill but i passed icnd1 & 2 1st time. i also practiced subnetting until my eyes bled :)

Also for the topics you have struggled on have you re-read some more info on the cisco doc site? this should re-inforce the theory a little better.

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Mishra wrote:
    This is a fine thing to say and I'm not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of it. It's great to have a strong head and determination to pass.

I agree it is good to be determined, but like nel stated sometimes you have to hear what you don't want to. In the end the goal is to gain the knowledge that comes along with the certification, not just enough to squeak by.

human151,

I know you want to pass the exam now, but what do you think will be better in the long run? A quick certification or a deep knowledge of the material?

We are not trying to be hard on you, and like you said, you may know it backwards and forwards and are just a bad test taker. It just seems to me an unwise decision to put a time line for the exam if you have already failed it twice. I am just giving my advice and opinion, take it or leave it, but its not to try to put you down.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    human151 wrote:

time to hit the lab.

Fail as many times as you need to. It helps you learn the material.

If you made high 700's and got your score sheet, you know what you need to study. Get those topics out, know them by heart, then go pass that thing!
  • Options
    Fail as many times as you need to. It helps you learn the material.

That will cost you alot of £££'s or $$$$ in your case icon_lol.gif

• Options
    kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Study hard and next time kick the CCENT in the nuts. Good luck!
  • Options
    passed today WITH 895.

this was my third time. I can honestly say I was not as prepared in the past, when I took and failed the test,as I thought I was.

tHE BIG HELP WAS Lammles CCNA Study guide. Lammle is far an away the best, atleast IMO.

my study material:

Sybex Virtual Router

CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle

Odoms ICND1

and a nice reading of CCENT Exam Cram at the end.

This test had some tough questions/configs, but after answered the last question and before I got the results I was certain I had passed.

Now that I passed I can say that the test is not difficult...if you are comfortable with teh material. The hard part is learning all this material and understanding it. It is really difficult studying on your own when all this is new to you. There comes a point in your studies when it all just "clicks" and begins to become clear.

I respect anyone who is studying alone. Dont get discouraged.

one more thing that was great motivation for me....I went to Gamestop almost two weeks ago at midnight and picked up the new star wars game, force unleashed. Im a huge Star Wars fan, but I knew full well I was not going to play the game until I passed. TaLK ABOUT A HUGE "CARROT".icon_lol.gif

I passed. I am a happy man :D

Now on to ICND2...

oh, and in case anyones curious: 895

describe operations of a network-72%
    implement a small switched network-75%
    implement an ip addressing scheme and ip services...-100%
    implement a small routed network-93%
    explain and select the appropriate admin tasks required for wlan- 100%
    identify security threats and describe methods to mitigate those threats- 100%
    implement and verify wan links-66%

still could use some brushing up in some areas but overall pretty good.

BSCI in Progress...

1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Welcome to the club!
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats!

I think the Todd Lammle books are far easier to read. I personally learn more from them because of the way the information is presented to me.

Good luck on the ICND2!