Options

Tips for securing first IT job? (CCNA)

TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
[removed]
Currently I am searching on Reed, Monster, CWjobs and the ITjobboard for the term "1st line" or "desktop support" or "CCNA" in central London.
[removed]
I'd appreciate it if some people can help increase my chances by looking over my C.V. and covering letter. Possibly even giving some tips?

Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    College; I take it that you're done with high school.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    College; I take it that you're done with high school.

Stick to one page relevant to the job your applying for. Include links to linked in or a website that describes you more, this is a great way to hone your skills...

Read job descriptions closely and mirror your experience with that particular job.

Good luck
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I couldn't view your resume, but here's my $.02.

Whenever crafting a resume, I always write it as if that's the only job in the world. Your resume has to specifically target the position to which you are applying. Focus more on your achievements, as it pertains to the job, and less on pass job duties. Keep it short and focused.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    I got a job :D, 3 month trial contract initially (expected as unexperienced). Apparently I did the lab they gave me (configuring 2 switches) in half the time as some of their senior staff have done it in. I wasn't exactly rushing either and had to do a couple of things that I've not done before. :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Very nice.

What was involved in the lab?

What duties will your new job involve?
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice.

x2
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Very nice.

What duties will your new job involve?

The lab was setting up 3 vlans and naming them, no shut and ip address on the management vlan. MOTD, login with user name on console, enable telnet sessions hiding the password configuring ports for both voice and data, port fast, use dot1q encapsulation and ether trunking. Think that was everything. I'd hazard a guess at spending less than 30 minutes configuring it (I wasn't keeping track of time, but was there for 80 minutes).

The job is very focused on the network side of things. Providing support for network issues that have been identified by second line support and rolling out new network hardware including VoIP.