Options

increase hard drive space on vmware

vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
i'm trying to run windows update on my windows 2003 server machine on vmware. but i dedicated to 4 gb for this os installed. now i have about 800 mb free and i need to do a service pack 3 install..but no space...how can i increase hdd size for my windows 2003 machine? if not possible, i guess i have to skip this exercise or reinstall windows 2003 with more than 4 gb. someone please let me know...thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which product/version are you using? There are command line utilities that could probably fix that for you.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Which product/version are you using? There are command line utilities that could probably fix that for you.

vmware server 1.0.1
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Open a command prompt and change the directory to where VMware Server is installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server) then execute the following command:

vmware-vdiskmanager -x <new_disk_size> "<path_to_VMDK_file>"

Once you have done that you will need to increase the size within Windows, which brings us to the next question: are you using basic or dynamic disks within Windows?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Open a command prompt and change the directory to where VMware Server is installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server) then execute the following command:

vmware-vdiskmanager -x <new_disk_size> "<path_to_VMDK_file>"

Once you have done that you will need to increase the size within Windows, which brings us to the next question: are you using basic or dynamic disks within Windows?

it's basic...right now i have about 715 mb free out of 4 gb for windows 2003 on just one drive (c:). when u specific to <new_disk_size>...let's say i want it to be 5 gb instead...do i put in the world "5 gb" also if i want to decrease size....can i use this command also or totally messed up my os on vmware?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    it's basic...right now i have about 715 mb free out of 4 gb for windows 2003 on just one drive (c:). when u specific to <new_disk_size>...let's say i want it to be 5 gb instead...do i put in the world "5 gb" also if i want to decrease size....can i use this command also or totally messed up my os on vmware?
    Yes 5GB (no space) to grow to 5 GB.

No you can't shrink them like this, also you would need to defrag and mark the free space as such prior to any shrink operation - not something you want to do very often.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    GParted is an easy way to grow the Windows partition to the size of the VMDK.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    And while you're at it, upgrade to VMWare Server 1.0.6.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/