Options

Cisco 851 Lab Router

Blang008Blang008 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can the 851 be used for the CCNA as a lab router. I was watching the CBT Nuggets and he says that this is a great lab router for CCNA and CCNP. Just curious what you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I have an 851 router. It is great for practice. 12.4 IOS, SDM, and all of the security features for ICND1 and ICND2 are in there, and they are not too bad price-wise for a new one.

You get a Fastethernet port and a WAN ethernet port, plus 4 fa ports that you can use as a switch--vlans included. Not a bad taste of Cisco overall.

I hope this helps.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the 831 for my home router and it is useful for lab practice. It is a good idea to get a couple other routers to use along side it for practice.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have 2 2501 and 2960, but I have been trying to follow the CBT nuggets and some of the commands that he is using do not work on my equipment.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What IOS version(s) do you have on those?
  • Options
    I think they are either 12.1 or 12.2.
  • Options
    Scratch that...The 2620 has IOS 11.3 and the 2501 said they had version 5.2. I am trying to update the IOS for the 2620. I just didnt know since I was watching Nuggets that I would be better off following him with the 851 that he was using. Dynamik what do you think? You are watching the CCENT videos as well.
  • Options
    I actually went with Train Signal for this exam, but I'm sure they cover the same commands. I was just wondering why you were having so many problems when it seems like we have nearly identical equipment. Most of mine are 12.2 or 12.3 though.
  • Options
    I guess I need to try and find a way to upgrade the IOS and see if that helps. Let me know if you have any lab advice. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    Ok, I upgraded Packet Tracer to see if that helps and it does let me do some of the commands that I was not able to do with the old version. For example: With the old version I was not able to do the "banner" cmd. The only command I have seen that I cant do so far is the "logging synchronous" cmd.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a 871W which is awesome because its both wireless and can use IPS (although it can slow bandwidth down). I grabbed it for around 150 on ebay
  • Options
    Dynamik..I sent you a message. Just wanted to know what you think about Train Signal. Thinking about adding that to the study material. I'm a visual learner and can watch these videos. I get off track a lot reading a book.
  • Options
    It seems like the consensus is Jeremy from CBT Nuggets is more entertaining and Chris from TS goes a little more in-depth. I think either along with a written resource is going to be enough to get by. If you're feeling shaky and want to give them a try, go for it. I'd rather over spend on my resources than waste money on a fail. Personally, I thought Chris did a fine job as a presenter. Everyone else makes it sound like Jeremy is wired from caffeine or crack or something. I guess they needed to find a counterpart for James from the MS series icon_lol.gif

How did you like the Nuggets? I may have to give them a shot for my post-CCNA studies. I'm hoping to score a streaming subscription from my employer.
  • Options
    I like CBT Nuggets a lot. He makes learning the nuts and bolts of Cisco fun. He does tend to go off on rants, but he knows his stuff. I was just curious because like I said, I can sit down and watch a video and take notes and retain it a lot better then just reading a book. Having very little Cisco experience, I didnt know if it would take both of these to help me understand the concepts. I just don't know.