Options

Satellite TV

TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
Who here has satellite (Direct TV, Dish Network) ?

How well does it do? Do you still experience everyones main complaint years ago about losing signal in rain and everything.

I am debating on it and time warner.

Please post your experience

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Therhino wrote:
    Who here has satellite (Direct TV, Dish Network) ?

How well does it do? Do you still experience everyones main complaint years ago about losing signal in rain and everything.

I am debating on it and time warner.

Please post your experience

I love the NFL Sunday ticket, I get ALL of the games, so for me satellite (DirectTV) is the only way to go.

During severe thunderstorms with high winds, you may have some issues, but besides that.. no problems.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    I have DirecTV. Well my dad has all the MLB games and NHL on it. Also we have an international dish provided by them as well along with High Definition service. Love the picture on my new LCD.
  • Options
    Oh and yeah it hasn't rained for a while here in California, last time I remember heavy fog and rain was an issue.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    I have had Dish Network for years and have the 2-dish HD setup with a duel receiver DVR. No issues with weather below the ionosphere here in SoCal. But the service is friggin' expensive with all the channels we want. We don't buy movies through Dish and instead use Netflix.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    I have had Dish Network for years and have the 2-dish HD setup with a duel receiver DVR. No issues with weather below the ionosphere here in SoCal. But the service is friggin' expensive with all the channels we want. We don't buy movies through Dish and instead use Netflix.

You know BlockBuster has the same service. Either mail it in or pick up or drop off at the store too.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:

currently have it, and my service went out twice (both during thunderstorms...its the monsoon season) for a total of 30 minutes. Other than that, its really great, even during normal rain. I had an issue with my local cable company and service outages in BOTH places I lived last year. So I finally got fed up and went do dish. I originally went with DirecTV, but the lazy jackass installers said they couldn't install my dish for a list of bogus reasons (dish is too big to mount, have to mount it on a pole, wont get good reception; even though the S line-of-sight was clear as day). I canceled my account and went with dish immediately. Two days later I had the Dish guy out and installed same day no issues. The two room DVR is great! Their HD quality is MUCH better than cable IMO. I still would go with DirecTV if I had a choice but I think Dish Network is doing a great job so far.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have DirecTV and enjoy it, only lost service once during a big thunderstorm.

Beware -- I get local channels via Satellite, but not in HD! Which really sucks because 90% of the shows I watch are on the main networks (Fox, ABC, NBC). Local cable company (Time Warner) offers these in HD which really ticks me off -- satellite needs to provide local HD channels if they want to continue to compete with cable.

Edit: LOL, talk about coincidence. No sooner than I submitted this post, I went to DirecTV's website to look up when local HD channels would be available, and to my surprise it was just launched for my area today! Woohoo, now I get all my favorite shows in HD :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)