Options

overtime

bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
I am just curious on how many shops out there have OT or are straight salary.
"You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    After hours weekday OT is 1.5x regular. Get nothing for turning up early.

Weekend and public holiday OT is 2x regular.

Home based working is worth nothing unless previously signed off by the IT management committee. Daft rule for IT but what can you do.

OT only gets counted if you've done 1 hour minimum. 15 minute increments after that. Bit of a stupid rule since it encourages staff to put off anything which takes less than an hour or to just pad it out to a full hour...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    After hours weekday OT is 1.5x regular. Get nothing for turning up early.

Weekend and public holiday OT is 2x regular.

Home based working is worth nothing unless previously signed off by the IT management committee. Daft rule for IT but what can you do.

OT only gets counted if you've done 1 hour minimum. 15 minute increments after that. Bit of a stupid rule since it encourages staff to put off anything which takes less than an hour or to just pad it out to a full hour...

Yeah,

sounds like a decent policy... Just curious because i'm straight salary and can tell you it is a bit tiresome to go in at all hours of the night. We are a 24/7 op and feel compensated enough for a 40 hour work week but definetly not for going in at 2 am etc...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My old job paid overtime pretty much the same .. My current job though doesn't pay overtime at all .. not even when we have to get up at 2am when you on on-call.

However, you get the time back if you want - or even more .. our manager doesn't care if you stay at home the next day when you had a rough night.

We don't have to ask, but tell him only ... We also don't have to ask if we need to come in later the day for personal reason - we just send him an email that we do ...

This works pretty good and I haven't heard that someone complained about overtime yet .. its all common sense in our office .. As long as you don't take the piss its all good ..

I think nobody even asked for overtime being paid yet. Most people rather have a sleepin that taxed money :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We get jack!

we work 11 hour shifts sat and sun and still get nothin! even on xmas day we get 0.5 for OT!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nel wrote:
    even on xmas day we get 0.5 for OT!

ruuubiiishhhhhhh icon_sad.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bertieb wrote:
    ruuubiiishhhhhhh icon_sad.gif

Sums this place up nicely icon_lol.gif

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You guys contractors or employees? I've been straight salary since I moved to the corporate world.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    You guys contractors or employees? I've been straight salary since I moved to the corporate world.

employee on a straight salary

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No overtime, but get comp time if I have to work something out of the norm.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Everywhere I've worked so far is hourly. Not much approved overtime available at this job anymore though. They're being extra stingy.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

Agreed with hourly -

but I definetly enjoy the perks of heading out fishing when I want.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    My current employer pays $15/hr for every hour billed to a customer over 25 in a week.

For overtime, that translates to $15/hr. Needless to say, I don't work overtime unless I absolutely have to.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    Work a lot with mainframes.

Overtime 1.5x hourly rate for anything over 40 hours. We are scheduled for a 38 3/4 hour week. I have never worked those hours. I work until done or relieved in the early AM.

Average about 12 hours every two weeks but more at the end/beginning of the month.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1.5 over 40. I'm not sure if there's anything special on holidays; we've always shut down completely for the three years I've been there.
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    work for a school.. you get holidays off
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Overtime paid at usual 1.5 or 2 + regular on sundays bank holidays etc. We usually get food paid for on long OT stints. Also get holiday bought back if its not used and work on support - getting an extra weeks wages this year for that.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Salary here...

Overtime? Whats that?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BTW I'm salary with some comp time for time spent well above and beyond what is reasonable
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's overtime?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Salary here, overtime would be nice, instead I get a comp time sometimes...
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    No overtime for me, only the yearly salary with my last employer. I worked 10-16 hours a day.
    I was actually very happy when I was laid off due to lack of work recently.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    work for a school.. you get holidays off

Yes its nice working in a school for the holidays but there are such thing as "Term Time Only" contracts - so you only get 82.73% of a "salary"

Swings and roundabouts eh?
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    nel wrote:
    employee on a straight salary

I'm a contractor on a **** salary...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    No OT here, Salaried paid & I'm on call 24x7x365
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security