Windows 2003/2008

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there

Im hoping to start my certification to MCSA in 2003 using

70-620
70-290
70-291
70-236

Am I wasting my time with Server 2008 out now?

Would I be better waiting until Server 2008 MCSA is out?

Thanks
Noel

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They dropped the MCSA/MCSE branding, and are now using the MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

Are you just getting started now? Server 2003 is going to be used heavily for years, so it's really not going to hurt you to start with that.
  • Options
    noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes i am a work in level 1 support ive a diploma in IT support

I have no other certification but was going to do

CISCO IT/Essentials 2/COMPTIA Server +

Also MCSA

Im based in I Ireland but the baic requirments for sys admin jobs are the same world wide

How long does each MCP take id have fairly good networking skills(from college) i can spend 10-15 hours per wek study

Is there any where that can tall me what books, sw is best to get to start these

Thanks a mill for help
    Noel
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd recommend setting up a virtual machine (VMWare, VirtualBox, VirtualPC are a few choices) and using the trial download of Server 2003 (or 200icon_cool.gif from Microsoft to test out and start getting some experience with the system.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    I'd recommend setting up a virtual machine (VMWare, VirtualBox, VirtualPC are a few choices) and using the trial download of Server 2003 (or 200icon_cool.gif from Microsoft to test out and start getting some experience with the system.

excellent advice!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    noel123ie wrote:
    Hi there

Im hoping to start my certification to MCSA in 2003 using

70-620
    70-290
    70-291
    70-236

Am I wasting my time with Server 2008 out now?

Would I be better waiting until Server 2008 MCSA is out?

Thanks
    Noel

I would suggest you do the Server 2003 route for the reasons others have suggested. Once you finish it up, you can begin your work on the Server 2008 upgrade path. The more knowledge, the better!