Options

msca 2000 vs msca 2003

hawazhawaz Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

Is it worth to take msca 2000..i just guessed it will be replaced by msca 2003 as that is what microsoft usually does. And also is windows 2000 pro going to be replaced or overtaken by win xp(pro)

need ur input

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    deekapdeekap Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It won't be replaced soon, some companies still use WIN NT, and changing to 2k, so companies won't change to 2003 soon. so i would stick with 2000 cert.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I agree. Win 2000 will be around for a while. If you go with 2000, then you only need two exams to upgrade to 2003 anyway.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    hawaz wrote:
    i just guessed it will be replaced by msca 2003 as that is what microsoft usually does.
    Microsoft doesn't 'replace' certifications. If you become MCSA on Windows 2000 you will be that for life. Of course it is only useful as long as Windows 2000 lasts... Apart from the fact that most companies are in no hurry to upgrade to XP or 2003, if you get your MCSA 2003 now and there would be a job opening next year at a company that does want to upgrade, who do you think they will hire? Someone with MCSA Windows 2003 or someone with MCSA 2000 and Windows 2003?

( I know, the answer is 'an MCSE 2000+2003 and experience with both' ;))

It think it is still wise to go for 2000 and take the upgrade exam (only 1) to become MCSA 2003 as well.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    MCSA 2003 might become a little more valuable with the next service pack of XP. Apparently Microsoft isn't backporting all of it's advancements security wise to 2000, which will probably make some companies reconsider upgrading to XP.

Combine that move along with the fact that alot of enterprises are going to be looking to refresh the hardware they bought in preparation for Y2K, and XP usage will likely be on the rise.

That said, for right now, I'd still go ahead and take the MCSA 2000 track and then upgrade to 2k3, regardless of how long it takes MCSA 2000 to become obsolete. Why? Two tracks look better than one on a resume. Hell, I still list OS/2 in the experience section of my resume... and I'll be honest, I don't really consider Microsoft exams to be all that valuable. They're just not very realistic of real world situations, and they don't cover nearly enough. They're just resume filler.

Anyway, enough preaching ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    chiwichiwi Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can still do your 70-210 exam on Win2000, before following the Win2003 path. That is what I did. Check out the Microsoft site for more details, or get the info off your nearest training center.