Options

Wrong proc speed reported...

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
I have a laptop, a Compaq nc6230 that has 512mb memory, and a 1.86Ghz cpu. However, on the general tab of the My Computer properties, it shows the cpu is a 1.86Ghz, running @ 786Mhz....does anyone know why, or how to correct this. The laptop is noticeably slower than others with the same model and hardware......
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Power management. Pentium M CPUs will do that. Its normal.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Ahhh......they do have Centrino mobile procs.......hmmm, I bet there is way to shut that off...all the laptops have the extended battery pack, and there are docks all over the place here, power saving shouldn't be an issue.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    On some newer windows laptops, you can tell it the max processing % you want it to go for power management. Maybe there's something like that for what you're working with.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, Power Management should have the option to disable that. For example, in vista, there's a few options in Power Management: Balanced, Power Saver, and High Performance. The others will throttle the CPU speed to around 50% while the High Performance mode will not restrict the CPU from running to its' full potential.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks