Options

Volume Shadow Copy on Win Srv2k???

94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
Hey all, I know Shadow Copy is a great tool available on Srv2k3 but is there any way to install the utility on a 2k server? I have a small remote office that refuses to do timely backups using the supplied DLT tapes. All they have to do is put the damn tapes in at the end of the day and I do everything else. Somehow, they can't do that so I'm looking at other options. The least expensive solution seems to be giving them an external HD (which I've already purchased) and setting up Shadow Copy for them. Unfortunately, my problem is Win Srv2k. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

They currently use symantec backupexec 10d.

I guess I could setup backups to take place on the hard drive using backup exec or even MS back up for that matter but Shadow Copy seems so much easier.

Thoughts?
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yeah, use your External Hard drive. Then create a script or use Robocopy and just copy all the data to the external hard drive every night. Use task scheduler to schedule this daily.

(Cringes)
    ....Or Schedule a daily backup using the windows backup utility and place all the backups on your external hard drive.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    ....Actually, you can backup to disc as well with symantec backupexec 10d. You would need to create the new external hard drive under the 'devices' tab and under removable backup to disc. Then schedule jobs like normal. I've actually never done this, but I know you can. Look in the help for symantec and search for 'backup to disc' and there's instructions.

I can't seam to find a good link.... icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    Triple post. icon_cheers.gif

Here ya go. Here is the manual for Backup Exec 10d. Turn to page 176 about using backup to disc folders.
    ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/279401.pdf
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yeah, I do backupexec to my external -- you create a B2D (backup to disk) folder and specify retention policies and volume sizes. It's basically the same as tape but without the headache of tape.
  • Options
    Yea, I was thinking of just dumping the BU's using B2D.

So I guess you guys think that's a decent idea in this situation? The end users need to have as little intervention as possible (NONE lol).

Alrighty fellas thanks for the input!
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • Options
    What do you guys suggest for a good back up plan?

They have about 70GB of data that needs to be backed. I'd like to keep as much data as possible going as far back in time as possible.

I have an external 750GB drive....

I'm thinking daily incrementals mon-thurs; differentials on fri and a full backup at the end of the month.

Thoughts?

That should allow me to keep at least a few months worth.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • Options
    94jedi wrote:
    I'm thinking daily incrementals mon-thurs; differentials on fri and a full backup at the end of the month.

Thoughts?

No, no. Never mix incremental and differential in the same backup strategy. I would suggest at least 1 full backup per week. At a minimum, I would do the following:

Mon-Thursday = Differential OR Incremental (Pick one, but don't mix)
    Friday = Full

This is assuming the business is not open on saturday or sunday. If so, then just adjust properly. Get a least 1 FULL backup per week. The rest can be your incremental or differential.

One very important thing to keep in mind here. It is a best practice so store at least 1 full backup offsite. This is in case of fires, floodings and other natural disasters. Backup to disc is great, but you should always have some full backups offsite.
  • Options
    94jedi wrote:

Thoughts?

No, no. Never mix incremental and differential in the same backup strategy. I would suggest at least 1 full backup per week. At a minimum, I would do the following:

Mon-Thursday = Differential OR Incremental (Pick one, but don't mix)
    Friday = Full

This is assuming the business is not open on saturday or sunday. If so, then just adjust properly. Get a least 1 FULL backup per week. The rest can be your incremental or differential.

One very important thing to keep in mind here. It is a best practice so store at least 1 full backup offsite. This is in case of fires, floodings and other natural disasters. Backup to disc is great, but you should always have some full backups offsite.

Thanks very much! I think I'll go with differential so that I can do other backups if needed, even at the expense of space.

Friday's I will do a full back up and I will do a monthly full back up to tape so that I can archive it off site.

Thanks for the tips!
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!